Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ebay film camera categories???

Ebay film camera categories???

Hope this is the right place for this question. For years I've searched eBay for film cameras using their "type" filters such as slr, rangefinder, large format, etc.

It's been several months since I've searched in this manner, and I am unable to figure out where these filters are now kept. The filters appear under lenses, but not cameras. Can't seem to find any direction within eBay or Google searches. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Name: ______William Booth

Re: Ebay film camera categories???

The categories under Cameras & Photo are not as specific as they (apparently) once were. You're pretty much limited to "Cameras & Photo > Film Photography". I generally just search under Cameras & Photo to cast a broad enough net to find everything relevant. A lot of sellers are not knowledgeable enough to classify the camera type anyway, and I would assume that's eBay's thinking in getting rid of those categories. Anyway, it does require wading through a bit more results, but it's probably better than missing out on something due to a seller listing something under the incorrect camera "type."

I would just use "slr", "rangefinder", or "4x5" in the search field under Cameras & Photo. Seems to do a pretty good job of filtering the results for me.

Try using this link:

http://www.ebay.com/electronics/camera-photo

Click on "all catagories"
    Rick Allen

Argentum Aevum

practicing Pastafarian

Will, complain. At the bottom of the page you'll find the question "Was this search helpful?" Click on "No" and they'll give you the opportunity to explain. Explain. And do it every time you search and don't like their options.

By the way, I've been lazy and have been selecting camera types field camera and large format; losing the opportunity to filter on camera type stung. I now use this search criterion ("large format", 6x9, "2 1/4 x 3 1/4", 4x5, "4 x 5") -canon -fisheye and find that it turns up the usual plus a few items that the camera type large format filter missed.

What drives me bats is that now the default sort order is "best match". This makes no sense when using their filters.

Rick the problem is in the "Film cameras" section, not in the lenses section. Go figure.

I too, have had noticed the problem. I believe it happened about two weeks ago. I called and complained to "Ricky", but got no where. About two days ago it was back - briefly. Now it is gone again. Maybe it's a software issue. There is a 'line' somewhere that asks - "how are we doing?" perhaps we should let them know. Trying to filter through 38,000 cameras isn't a lot of fun.

I just bookmark this address and it brings up the large format section of ebay "film cameras." Of course there are things in there other than large format cameras but that's always been the case AFAIK.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Film-Cameras...rge%2520Format
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Ebay comes with many portals depending on the country although it's one common database. User name and password are the same as are the watched items etc. What doesn't help is the different portals use different ways to categorise and these don't always map across.

The .co.uk portal has dropped some categories making it much harder to just search for LF equipment. I search on ebay.com, .co.uk, .de for some harder to find items. The US portal is the better one but not when looking for items in Britain/EU.

Ian

They did change something about a week or so ago. I can not browse the large format cameras anymore. Under film photography there are only brands and not camera types ie: large format, medium format etc. I have filled out the "what do you think" link at the bottom of the page several times but I doubt Ebay is "listening"
    I wish they would just leave it alone.....!

I just want them to put the page numbers on the top as well as the bottom

Thank you everybody. Nice to know that it isn't an issue of my stupidity or worse yet... senility