Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Tray developing problem - 8x10

Re: Tray developing problem - 8x10

I'm with you, Maris. If that is snow, then it is a positive (also a black rebate), the black 'splotches' are thin areas on the negative. Poor aggitation in the developer tray with the negative emulsion down? Areas touching the bottom of the tray might have gotten under-developed.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I'm with you, Maris. If that is snow, then it is a positive (also a black rebate), the black 'splotches' are thin areas on the negative. Poor aggitation in the developer tray with the negative emulsion down? Areas touching the bottom of the tray might have gotten under-developed.

I always develop with emulsion side up and yes, the image I posted was he positive as he white areas are snow.

Quote Originally Posted by TimeShare View Post
    Persistence and Patience ! Frustrating when you think you've shot a great scene and the negative doesn't turn out. May have to resort to some paper negatives while I work this out.

Back to looking for light leaks ... thanks for the tip !
    At the same time you are doing your camera bellows check and getting your eyes acclimated to the dark, put a film holder in the back of the camera and check the film holder to camera back interface by shining a light from the lens board opening into the back of the camera. If light can get out of this area, light can also get in. Can't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    At the same time you are doing your camera bellows check and getting your eyes acclimated to the dark, put a film holder in the back of the camera and check the film holder to camera back interface by shining a light from the lens board opening into the back of the camera. If light can get out of this area, light can also get in. Can't hurt.
    Absolutely ... full camera interrogation coming up !

Some success ... tray developed using brush development. I picked up a foam brush to experiment with brush development on a test negative.

Seems to have resulted in even development throughout with no "hot spots" or undeveloped areas.

I'll be ordering some Hake brushes for future development versus the foam.

Ansco 8x10 + Kodak Wide Field Ektar 250mm @ f6.3 @ 1/50, Arista EDU Ultra 100 @ 50 iso developed in HC-110 H @ 9 mins with 1st minute brush agitation & brush agitation on each minute.

Bit of a dull day to shoot but just trying to figure this new lens & camera out & test shallow DOF.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	50824299263_c8dc481200_c (2).jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	76.9 KB 
ID:	211373

Quote Originally Posted by TimeShare View Post
    Some success ... tray developed using brush development. I picked up a foam brush to experiment with brush development on a test negative.

Seems to have resulted in even development throughout with no "hot spots" or undeveloped areas.

I'll be ordering some Hake brushes for future development versus the foam.

Ansco 8x10 + Kodak Wide Field Ektar 250mm @ f6.3 @ 1/50, Arista EDU Ultra 100 @ 50 iso developed in HC-110 H @ 9 mins with 1st minute brush agitation & brush agitation on each minute.

Bit of a dull day to shoot but just trying to figure this new lens & camera out & test shallow DOF.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	50824299263_c8dc481200_c (2).jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	76.9 KB 
ID:	211373
    So you can safely conclude that you do not have a bellows light leak and your film holder to camera interface is also not light compromised. A step in the right direction.

Never tried brush development. From an outsiders perspective only doing one sheet at a time would involve a real commitment to the darkroom. This is where tray development shines. Being able to process 4-6 negatives at a time greatly increases ones efficiency in the darkroom. Personally, I would rather spend as little time as possible and the darkroom and allow myself more time in the field and would push through to figure out tray processing. Just one more tool in your tool box.

Since learning brush development a few years ago I have never had a scratched negative. Every now and then with the shuffle method of more than one at a time I would get scratches, scrapes and/or nicks. Even being careful I would get them. The one at at time solved that one for me and the brush has made for very even development across the negative. Cut the uneven skies out completely.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Since learning brush development a few years ago I have never had a scratched negative. Every now and then with the shuffle method of more than one at a time I would get scratches, scrapes and/or nicks. Even being careful I would get them. The one at at time solved that one for me and the brush has made for very even development across the negative. Cut the uneven skies out completely.
    Thanks Willie, for 4x5 negatives, I tend to develop multiple sheets at once but for 8x10, I only shoot a few negatives at a time so developing one negative at a time serves me well especially if each negative is shot in different lighting conditions.