Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Life at Olympic trailer park by Ansel Adams

Re: Life at Olympic trailer park by Ansel Adams

It is interesting to see that the laundry room images were staged -- same people , but the washers moved around. And even a possible product placement going on!

Just goes to show that AA could take crappy pics just like the rest of us.
    Eric Rose
    www.ericrose.com

I don't play the piano, I don't have a beard and I listen to AC/DC in the darkroom. I have no hope as a photographer.

Quote Originally Posted by David Vickery View Post
    Is there proof that Ansel Adams actually did this work? Exposure, focus, lighting, even composition all seem a little off for Ansel Adams. Of course, someone at the library could have printed them, but still. Or maybe these are the rejects that ended up at the library somehow??
    Ansel did a lot of paid projects ... including one at the Manzanar Japanese-American internment camp ... to be charitible they were not too photographically inspiring. He was not noted for his ability to capture the human experience.

So I don't think you can try to compare his classic Yosemite photos with his commercial shots.

About 15 years ago I saw a number of prints that Ansel had done for the Wolverine Boot company. They were being framed by a friend of mine. They were nothing special, on the back was his printing information f stop, time, burning and dodging. I'm sure he did a lot of projects like this to make a living.

Is there proof that Ansel Adams actually did this work? Exposure, focus, lighting, even composition all seem a little off for Ansel Adams. Of course, someone at the library could have printed them, but still. Or maybe these are the rejects that ended up at the library somehow??
    Yes, there's quite a bit of information about the donations. I remember reading an article about them somewhere, can't remember where or much about it except what I posted above.

Adams spent much of his adult life as a commercial photographer. He didn't make big money from his prints until William Turnage started handling his business and finances in the early 1970s.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

or maybe he is great with trees and rocks....not so much with people and buildings and cars

Mr Adams produced a lot of duds in his lifetime, like all of us. His other "people" photos are just as stiff and lifeless.
    Likely he was most comfortable around trees and rocks, and instructing others how to use a sensitometer.
    Why would a landscape photographer get hired to do this kind of journalistic work? I can think of many reasons, but none of them would make these photos better.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rose View Post
    Just goes to show that AA could take crappy pics just like the rest of us.
    LOL LOL love it

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Mr Adams produced a lot of duds in his lifetime, like all of us. His other "people" photos are just as stiff and lifeless. . . .
    One of his former assistants whose workshop I attended said that Adams estimated that he produced about 50,000 photographs in his lifetime, of which about 1,500 were worth doing something with (e.g. exhibiting, putting in a portfolio, selling, etc.). The rest were duds (by his standards). IOWs roughly 97% of the photographs he made were duds.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Its also worth noting that nearly all of his big selling masterpieces were created within a fairly concise period of time, virtually none being taken after he turned 50. But this is true of many great artists, who often have a defined fertile period of 8 to 10 yrs.. It takes not only inspiration but a lot of energy to put together a significant body of work, which seems to happen more often before family and career involvements take hold .
    John Youngblood
    www.jyoungblood.com