Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Optical Rangefinder

Re: Optical Rangefinder

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Base length is total width or optic center to optic center?
    I just measured a Fotoman RF obtained from the initial run during the Paul Droluk era - Mr Fotoman Professional will have to tell us whether the current run is to the same specs. The physical length of the body is about 63mm, but the distance between optical centers is more like 35mm. The magnification appears to be life size or very close to it, so the effective baselength is the full physical distance.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    I just measured a Fotoman RF obtained from the initial run during the Paul Droluk era - Mr Fotoman Professional will have to tell us whether the current run is to the same specs. The physical length of the body is about 63mm, but the distance between optical centers is more like 35mm. The magnification appears to be life size or very close to it, so the effective baselength is the full physical distance.
    Please excuse my quick response yesterday. Yes, optical cnter to optical center is 35mm. Manufacturing was is to the same specs as the older versons.

Small town, South Carolina, US

I thought I was fortunate to purchase an original model in feet. You are correct. It would be a big benefit to be able to move the foot around. The new Voigtlander shoe mount (and possibly now discontinued) light meter has that feature.

To use this accurately, one would have to have range scales on the camera for each lens with focus determined on the ground glass.

I would like a combined rangefinder-viewfinder with paralax correction and masks for 150mm and 210mm on 4X5 (300mm and 420mm on 8X10) so that I could pre-set the focus distance for frame-filling portraits like the Polaroid Big Shot or the modifications I have made to TRF Crown Graphic. With such a device, any field camera with a shoe on top could be a "Big Shot".

It looks like a new version of a 1950s Voigtlander external rangefinder. I got one for $3 at an estate sale this weekend. Looks like this one 321258382120.

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    It looks like a new version of a 1950s Voigtlander external rangefinder. I got one for $3 at an estate sale this weekend. Looks like this one 321258382120.
    Now that's a great find for $3. We improved the device by making the viewfinder larger, the image you see is brighter and you can calibrate ours.

Voightlander decided to cancel production of the item several years back and we saw a need for a simple easy to use device.

Now all Fotoman have to do is to makea RF coupled 4x5 camera :-)

Bumping an old thread...

Does anyone have a PDF of the calibration procedure for the Fotoman rangefinder, or better still, know of a link?

It used to be on the fotomancamera.com web site, but that web site is long gone.

Thanks,
    Kerry

Here it is
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by George Hart View Post
    Here it is
    Thanks!