Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which tripod head for large format photography

Which tripod head for large format photography

Hi

Just wanted to know what tripod heads people use for large format cameras. I own a chamonix 4x5 and will soon move to 8x10 as I only do contact printing I own only a ball hear and find it very hard to make adjustments. I know a three way pan head will solve my issues.

Just wanted to start the discussion on which brand is better I am looking for smooth controls and precision. What do you guys use.

Re: Which tripod hear for large format photography

The Majestic heads are geared for precision.

I like the Ries double tilt heads myself but they are not geared.

Either style head you will want the corresponding tripod.

Majestic tripods are excellent, rated to support 39 pounds (18 kg). The have geared forward/back rotation using a worm gear.

I have two of these, slightly different styles, both with 6"x9" (150x225mm) platforms. They work fine for my 8x10 Tachihara field camera.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Analog Photographer Kimberly Anderson's Avatar

Miller cine fluid head on bowl mount.

SF Bay Area 94303

My Majestic tripod and head weighs 19 lb. Perfect for backpacking! Be perfect for holding up your tent. K

Majestic tripods also work great for supporting your car if you need to change a flat or change the oil.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

I like the Gitzo Series 5 low profile pan/tilt head for use with 8x10 field cameras. They have a good-sized plate, are smooth to use, aren't super heavy, and can be found used for a reasonable amount.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Large Format Rocks ImSoNegative's Avatar

I shoot 4x5 and I use the bogen 3021 with a 3047 pan tilt head, works great
    "WOW! Now thats a big camera. By the way, how many megapixels is that thing?"

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    Majestic tripods are excellent, rated to support 39 pounds (18 kg). The have geared forward/back rotation using a worm gear.

I have two of these, slightly different styles, both with 6"x9" (150x225mm) platforms. They work fine for my 8x10 Tachihara field camera.

- Leigh
    They are nice -- but I found it better using the geared movement for side tilt rather than forward/back. YMMD

I use a Majestic head on a Bogen 3051 leg set, but I want a Berlebach 8043 Wood Tripod Legs with Levelling Center Column - Supports 17.6 lb (8.0 kg) Real nice, lightweight and actually cheap. High quality made in Germany.

Traditional and vibration free.

I believe in very sturdy tripods. I am converting a garage sale Cine Sachtler & Wolf wood leg set and Saltzman head to work together. Very HD with big leg spikes, that dig into the dirt, and a dolly for studio. Makes a Majestic look tiny.

Majestic's are very cheap used, but are reliable and will not drop a camera. The worm drive tilt is self locking and sideways is limited by built in stops to 15 degrees either side, so you won't have a big camera get away from you.

I find ballhead and 3 ways to be aggravating. I have never used a gear head, but in a camera store they seem slow to adjust.

I think it is also a big plus that Majestics are made in Chicago and cost under $300, new. Parts easily available and the 6x7 plate Leigh refers to is gentle on your camera.

I got my used, 4 Majestic tripods for well under $100.

I use the same Bogen leg set with 35mm and digital. I shoot out of my van or condo front door. No mountain climbing for me. Those days are long gone.
    Tin Can