Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Power load requirements

Re: Power load requirements

Number one consideration for me is the hot water tank, which is needed big time up here, I would be considering the power for this first and foremost.

Bob,

The tank is a concern, the house is fitted with 2x 40 gallon tanks. I will see how the winter session goes and may be forced to swap out one of those tanks for a larger tank. That will mean rewiring as the current wiring is cloth, and too small for a 60 gallon (80 gallon US) tank.
    The newer 3 heating element tanks sound like they would be right for the long steady demand during a winter printing session.

I have 2 small bar style fridges and 2 half sized freezers just outside the darkroom now, so a fridge won't be placed inside the darkroom.
    I just threw everything in the freezer as quickly as possible for now during the move to keep anything from getting warm during the move (the older papers and older films were my concern). One trip was just a freezer to freezer dash with the paper and film. I may cut one freezer once I am settled in.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails freezer.x.jpg  

Drew Wiley

You can save a lot of hot water by having a thermoregulator for the water jacket, but either this or an on-demand hot water device require quite a bit of wattage.

As I measure things out tonight and made a rough shopping list, I started to consider putting a 2 gallon hot water tank directly below the kitchen sink.
    It runs on 110v and I could take the bathroom sink, the kitchen sink and the dishwasher off the grid of one of the 40 gallon (about 50 gallons US) hot water heaters, leaving only the darkroom and the lower shower on one heater, which would provide for fewer fluctuations in the darkroom during winter months.

The other advantage of this is, currently the placement of the hot water tank to kitchen sink is far enough that it takes 32 ounces of running water before hot water runs through the faucets. the 2 gallon "at source" tank would reduce my water consumption dramatically and provide fewer temperature fluctuations if the girls used the kitchen sink or bathroom while I was in the darkroom.

Am I over working this?
    Does anyone use a 2 gallon "at source of use' water heater in their house?

What of the tankless water heaters? Wall space only. Unlimited hot water if you don't over run their capacity for heat rise on your cold supply. Under $300 USD here.
    Not sure of the required electric service capacity.

Do you want to include a small heater in your darkroom? Personally, I use a small ceramic heater that draws 1600 watts. Also, do you use an electric print dryer?

Typically, the smaller "on demand" type heaters can not manage with the very cold city water feed during the winter months. Tap water can be as cold as ice from November/December to March.

In looking at this post this morning, I realize I would need a 5 gallon (6gal US) tank due to the dishwasher being on that water line, which requires 3 gallons per cycle.

Niel, I had a print dryer years ago but gave it away. I use screens now. At the moment there are no plans for a heater, I think (hope) the hydronic system that runs through the darkroom will be enough. There is only one "cold" wall in the darkroom.