Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hanging Sheet Film To Dry

Hanging Sheet Film To Dry

For me, it's wooden clothes pins on a taut piece of string. Perfect.

My concession to modernity - stainless steel clips by Patterson. Very secure and allows extremely fine footprint so as not to touch the image area.

Francesco (www.cicoli.com)

Kodak 149 2594 Color Film Clips do it for me. I discovered these at a photographic estate sale a couple of years ago and bought enough to hang more film than I'd care to process at one time. They were drilled so I hang them from some wire I strung across the darkroom and so far have never failed to do the job while leaving only a trace of teeth marks on the very corner of my B&W negs.

Beverly Hills, California

Jobo Sheet Film Clips are nice because they have only a very small surface area of a sharp needle and you can postion this to the very corner of the sheet, far outside the image area. Also, when hanging on a wire/string, they orient the sheets at a 90 degree angle from the way a clothspin orients them. This has a couple advantages as well, such as space saving and better dust control, I feel.

Finally, they are great for pulling finished 4x5 sheets out of the Jobo Expert Drums.

The down side is that ten of them cost like $35US at B&H.

The wife had this amazing round hanging thing to hang her undies on. I confiscated it and can hange ten sheets of 5x7 or 10 rolls in a very small area. The plastic clips grip right to the edges and hold firm. Had the wife conviced she lost her prized undi hanger for about a year. Then she noticed it in the processing box one day, oh well.

I also believe in punching holes, I use a push pin though, one in the top corner and film hangs diagonally.

I use the binder clips as well. The medium sized ones work for 8x10 negs. I use larger paper clips bent into a hook (hard to describe) to hang them in the shower to hang the clips on. I just watch out for the inevitable rust on the clips.

Like Robert, I highly recommend the Kodak Color Film Clips. Powerful enough to hold the film. Small enough not to intrude into the image area.
    Alec

In the 60's I owned a large furniture photography studio. All our furniture and most other projects were 8X10 and some of the outside commercial was 4X5, used a wire clothesline and wooden clothespins. Hung the film Diagonaly at 30 to 40 8 X 10 on a day and more at furniture market time. Never had one drop or marked the image.

Admit I often feared it though.

Norm J