Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hanging Sheet Film To Dry

Hanging Sheet Film To Dry

After using the perforated alligator clips to hang my sheet film for a long time, I took some recent advice to look at an alternative for accomplishing this objective that has worked out better than I thought.

I acquired a Fiskar 1/16" hand operated punch and use it to put two small holes in the outer film area and after using a wire cutter to clip small paper clips to a hook configuration on both ends, I use these to hang my sheet film. No more bent film or excessive holes that could intrude into the image area. The punch cost me $10 online. Just thought I would pass this along.

Cheers!

Wooden clothes pins work fine for me. I'm only hanging 4x5 though.

Bruce Watson

I've gone to a more moderan and updated version of the cloths peg. Plastic ones! Come on Hogarth time to get out of the dark ages.

Eric
    Eric Rose
    www.ericrose.com

I don't play the piano, I don't have a beard and I listen to AC/DC in the darkroom. I have no hope as a photographer.

The wooden ones seem to leave more diffuse marks......just sticking up (sorry for the pun) the old folks.

Binder clips work for me. No need to punch your film and no marks in the image area. I have also never had one drop a sheet, unlike clothes pins.

I got the plastic and now I went back to wood. The plastic breaks hanging film, can you believe it?

Think about it a minute Eric. You're asking a large format photographer to "get out of the dark ages." That's irony, yes? Next you're going to want me to give up the Artars. Sacrilege!

Besides, my wooden clothes pins have been working great for years. It'd be disloyal of me to toss 'em. And, they're paid for already ;-)

Bruce Watson

Ansel's trick was to turn the two halves of the wooden clothespin around in their springs so that they clip at the handle end instead of the usual end, reducing the contact area with the film. Works for me even with 11x14".

I'm still using wooden clothes pins on 8x10 that I got from home 30 years a go. Can't ask for much better than that. Plastic what?

I have these small plastic clips that have a spike like the 4mm point of a push pin, the pin can pierce the film holding it super securely. I found that with wooden clothes pins the slimy emulsion could slip out and land-always emulsion side down-on a small patch of grit that was exactly where the sky would be.

CP Goerz