Thread: Questions on getting film developed

Questions on getting film developed

Sorry for the beginner type questions, but I need to know:

1. Is there a certain length of time that you can keep sheets of film in their holders before getting them developed? It's been about a month or two since I shot the film.

2. I finally got my hands on an empty box to place my exposed film. Do I need to put the sheets of film inside some kind of plastic bag, or can I just put them directly in the box? Do I have to worry about dust at all?

Thanks!

Re: Questions on getting film developed

1. No practical time constraints, the latent image on your film will last months and years. It's always better to do it sooner than later, I might start thinking about increasing the development time 10% after five years or something like that. After ten years you run the risk of the emulsion sluffing off, at least with color, but some people have processed 80-year old exposed film and gotten usable results.

2. Put the sheets into the box all facing the same direction (emulsion up if sending them to a lab) and close the three piece box the same way the film was packaged. No bag or extra BS to scratch things up. Tape the ends of the box shut but don't overdo it so that you or the lab are able to open the box without destroying it. No worries about dust other than generally keeping it tidy. Of course you want to minimize the dust before you shoot ;-p

Label the box if you're sending it out - name, number of sheets, type of film and process.

The film should be placed in the same light-tight bag it shipped in originally. Then put that bag in the three-part box for shipment.
    I'll send you a spare box with inserts if you need one.

Exposed film should be kept as cool as possible, but not refrigerated or frozen as this can cause condensation and water spots.

BTW... You need to put your location in your profile. That can make a difference for some questions/answers.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Otto Seaman View Post
    No bag or extra BS to scratch things up. Tape the ends of the box shut but don't overdo it so that you or the lab are able to open the box without destroying it.
    I have used either two small peices of regular sticky tape on the sides (or ends) of the box... or a rubber band. I'm not sure which the lab prefers but never had a problem either way.

Also, it is a good idea to mark on the box a request to return the box if you want it back... unless you are emptying film boxes in suficient quantities.

I would do my best to keep the film cool as I think image degradation is faster as temperature rises. I wouldn't just leave it in my garage (where it's often around 105) but as was pointed out, I wouldn't freeze or refrigerate it either.