Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Toyo 45gx - how to get more extension?

Re: Toyo 45gx - how to get more extension?

____

>> So, if I had another identical kit (45GX and 2 rails) I could link them together? That's my plan then.

***** NO!!! *****
    This will not work Jeff!

*** PLEASE *** Remember Jeff... That in order to join the 'Rails' together -- You *ALWAYS* need (One Male end and One Female end).

Therefore... If you are trying to join together two *IDENTICAL* Toyo Cameras together (As per your above cited proposal, with Four (4) Rails in Total) ) -- I.e. *BOTH* Cameras using One (1) Standard Rail (Two Female Ends) + One (1) Extension Rail (One Mail End and One Female End)... That you would end up trying to connect your two cameras together (*With only 'Female Ends' available to you). Not so cool! LOL. Smile.

*** When you get home Jeff, please take a look at your existing camera... And pretend that you have two (2) IDENTICAL Cameras -- That are identical to your present camera and that you now need to connect them together. You will see what I mean! ***
    --
    To make your idea work Jeff... You would need One (1) Standard Rail (Two Female Ends) with Three (3) Extension Rails (One Mail End and One Female End).
    *** (I.e. 'Substitute Out' one of your 'Standard Rails' for an 'Extension Rail') ***
    --
    Very sorry about the 'Long Winded' explanation Jeff. Just trying to be of assistance to you!
    --
    Best,

-Tim.
    ________

___

My sincerest apologies at this time... To *BOTH* 'Jeff Bannow' and Mr. 'Bob Salomon' at HP Marketing.
    --
    I just noticed that in ALL of my 'original replies' to this thread... That I previously 'inadvertently' referred to 'Jeff' as 'Bob'.
    --
    This 'oversight' on my part has now been corrected in all of my postings in this thread and was *Definitely* not intentional or in any way, shape or form... Meant to cause disrespect or harm to anyone!

Once again... I am very sorry for any confusion that this may have caused -- Both of you.
    --
    Best,

-Tim.
    ________

Quote Originally Posted by Taija71A View Post
    ____

>> So, if I had another identical kit (45GX and 2 rails) I could link them together? That's my plan then.

***** NO!!! *****
    This will not work Jeff!

*** PLEASE *** Remember Jeff... That in order to join the 'Rails' together -- You *ALWAYS* need (One Male end and One Female end).

Therefore... If you are trying to join together two *IDENTICAL* Toyo Cameras together (As per your above cited proposal, with Four (4) Rails in Total) ) -- I.e. *BOTH* Cameras using One (1) Standard Rail (Two Female Ends) + One (1) Extension Rail (One Mail End and One Female End)... That you would end up trying to connect your two cameras together (*With only 'Female Ends' available to you). Not so cool! LOL. Smile.

*** When you get home Jeff, please take a look at your existing camera... And pretend that you have two (2) IDENTICAL Cameras -- That are identical to your present camera and that you now need to connect them together. You will see what I mean! ***
    --
    To make your idea work Jeff... You would need One (1) Standard Rail (Two Female Ends) with Three (3) Extension Rails (One Mail End and One Female End).
    *** (I.e. 'Substitute Out' one of your 'Standard Rails' for an 'Extension Rail') ***
    --
    Very sorry about the 'Long Winded' explanation Jeff. Just trying to be of assistance to you!
    --
    Best,

-Tim.
    ________
    I see what you mean. So, I have the ability to get a kit with a standard rail, an extension rail, 2 standards and the bellows. I could use 1 standard, the bellows and an extension rail from it. I would need to acquire another extension rail separately.

Thanks for the help!

Without wishing to hijack the thread, what would you use so much extension for?
    Magnification?
    I have a Toyo bought last year, my first lf camera. Due to ilness thkugh i have not been able to use it yet.
    Alan

____

>> So, I have the ability to get a kit with a standard rail, an extension rail, 2 standards and the bellows.

Hi Jeff,

Cool. Sounds like a 'Nice Kit' Jeff!
    --
    *** Jeff... How much 'Bellows Extension' are you requiring 'in total'... 750mm 1000mm??? How many 'Standards' and 'Bellows' are you thinking of using??? ***

*** Jeff... How long of a F.L. Lens are you planning on using with this 'Set-up' and at what 'Image Magnification'??? ***

It sounds to me, like *perhaps* that two (2) Standard Toyo Bellows... Is not going to get you -- Where you want to be?

(*Only you of course can answer all of these questions... As to your wants/needs!).

>> I could use 1 standard, the bellows and an extension rail from it. I would need to acquire another extension rail separately.

YES. Although I *Believe* that 'in actuality' you could use *** Both *** of the (2) Standards from your new kit + the new Bellows and the new Extension Rail -- From it!
    But then again... Three Standards 'in total' -- Should do all that you should ever want to do -- And More! LOL.
    --
    >> I would need to acquire another extension rail separately.
    Yes... If you need *** Four (4) rails 'in total' *** (1000mm Extension = 4 x 250mm) for your Toyo 4x5 GX -- Then this is correct!
    --
    >> Thanks for the help!
    No problem at all Jeff. You of course are more than welcome!
    (* Been there done that... Different systems however!).
    --
    Best,

-Tim.
    ________

Quote Originally Posted by salan View Post
    Without wishing to hijack the thread, what would you use so much extension for?
    Magnification?
    I have a Toyo bought last year, my first lf camera. Due to ilness thkugh i have not been able to use it yet.
    Alan
    I would like to explore some macro work, so I need higher magnifications. For higher magnification, you need more bellows.

___

Hi Alan,

>> Without wishing to hijack the thread, what would you use so much extension 'Magnification' for?

Alan, without speaking for Jeff personally... *YES* one would either use a large amount of extension for 'Magnification' *OR* when requiring the use of an extremely long Focal Length lens 'at Infinity'.

Since Jeff is using a 'Studio Camera' (Toyo 4x5 GX's in his case)... My Guess is that he is requiring this extension for 'Magnification' -- As in 'Table Top' or Macro Photography.
    (*Alan... IC that Jeff has now confirmed this point for you).
    --
    Congratulations on your Toyo purchase Alan!
    I sincerely hope that you are feeling better *** REAL Soon!!! ***
    --
    Best,

-Tim.
    ________

Thanks for that. Typically what lens would you use for that level of magnification?
    I have two backs and bellows one for 4x5 and one for 10x8. Plus one extension bar. I am interested in macro, so would like to find out more.
    Alan

____

>> I am interested in macro, so would like to find out more.
    >> for that level of magnification?

Allan... What 'Level of Magnification' are you referring to?
    I don't believe that Jeff ever mentioned any *specific* 'Image Magnifications' in this thread -- Thus far...

1:5 1:2 1:1 2:1 5:1 10:1 ?????

Alan... Which camera were you planning on using (4x5, 8x10)? What equipment do you specifically own? What are you trying to Photograph? What is your 'Object or Subject' Size? How much 'Bellows Draw' do you have to work with? Etc., etc., etc... 'Ad Infinitum'...
    --
    Alan, if you are *Truly Interested* in this subject... I would 'highly recommend' that you read a good Photography Book on the subject first or just 'Google' it. All the information that you will ever need to know on the subject... Is already 'Out There' -- For the learning and taking of it!
    --
    However to get you started... I will throw you a few 'juicy bones' -- In 'no particular' order of course! (*O'ooop's... I meant to say some URL's with *Basic* Photographic 'Formulas'). LOL.

http://www.tripodplaces.com/archives...ormulas-macro/

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ws-factor.html

--
    Best,

-Tim.
    ________

Thank you for that Tim.
    I have used mainly macro lenses and extension tubes for 35mm so far up to 2:1
    I have used bellows on 35mm once, so as I have done no lf photography ( hoping health will improve soon), i have no experience of using bellows/lf macro at all.
    Anyway appologies for hijacking the thread. I will read the links and look for other threads on macro. Although not found any books on lf macro yet.
    Alan