Thread: Anyone carry an 8x10" Arca in ThinkTank Airport Takeoff bag?

Lightbulb Anyone carry an 8x10" Arca in ThinkTank Airport Takeoff bag?

I'm using the Airport Accelerator bag which is fantastic, but I noticed I could use wheels when walking for 2 hours in the city...
    I carry the 8x10" mounted with a 240 lens, 2 holders, loupe and meter and would like to fit it all the same way but with the options of rolling it.

Re: Anyone carry an 8x10" Arca in ThinkTank Airport Takeoff bag?

Get one of these:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flashpoint-A...item5aef82d428

then bungee-cord one of these to the above cart:
    http://www.costco.com/Magna-Cart-Per....11753765.html

put all your stuff in it, it is bulky enough-looking that some crooked thief will probably think twice about stealing it, and you can configure the divider/s (think it only comes with 1-2) to your hearts desire and speed of setup.

then put your left-over savings into more film

-Dan
    Last edited by Daniel Stone; 26-Jul-2013 at 15:45. Reason: edited it for some humor :)

Thanks Daniel, but it kind of misses the point since I can't use this bag as a backpack when needed, and the cart is pretty bulky.

The little wheels on the photo luggage might last about two hours in the city but given they get funky rolling indoors in fairly clean airports should give you an understanding of why using them as your primary method of towage around a city may be short-lived or uneconomical. I don't think there is a backpack with really strong, good wheels - if there was, it would be a lot bulkier and heavier than people would want to haul on their backs.

Daniel's suggestion is a practical one that a lot of photographers use. Another method is to use a baby carriage. Might prevent theft as well. You can get a cheap baby carriage for $19 and leave it behind if you don't want to ship it.

Quote Originally Posted by dhirsch View Post
    Thanks Daniel, but it kind of misses the point since I can't use this bag as a backpack when needed, and the cart is pretty bulky.
    I know it isn't a backpack, but you kinda asked for a rolling solution. I've used rolling backpacks before. THEY SUCK in my opinion.... They're overly heavy, they're uncomfortable to wear for longer distances than 50yds, and the wheels usually stick into your kidneys after a short spell .
    Since you already HAVE a backpack than can hold your kid, you could simply strap IT to the cart. The magna cart is extremely light for what it's capable of, and folds down to be mighty thin(like 2" or something like that). Easy to fold up to get on the subway/bus if you need to take it(since you're in NY).

The larger diameter wheels also make rolling around for longer distances(like around a city) more enjoyable than the small(more designed for short distance/in the airport kinda stuff) diameter wheels on the ThinkTank bags.

Don't get me wrong, I love T.T. products. I have a few myself. But having a "convertible" option might be a solution that could work here.
    I've never been to NYC. So I can't say from experience(yet) what it's like. But having used my MagnaCart here in LA with an 8x10 kit, it sure made it easier than lugging by hand a large case and assorted accessories(even multiple lenses and 5 film holders).

cheers,
    Dan

Thanks Daniel.
    The idea of larger wheel I do like. I think I'll give MagnaCart a try and see what it's like.

BTW, what gave you the impression I was living in NY ? :-)

Honestly, IDK. You mentioned "walking for 2hrs in the city", so either you have LONG blocks(or many to walk along), or lots of foot traffic to contend with.

If you're not in NYC, no worries. If you are, just call it a "wild guess" on my part

cheers,
    Dan

I actually live in Berlin. Thanks for the idea, I ordered a similar cart that's made here in Germany.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5505000FS11.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	99460

That looks exactly like the wheels I use when using my 4x5 kit. I am sure it will work well with a larger camera bag.

You may also consider adapting a golf bag cart to carry the camera mounted on the tripod.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!