Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: using poloroid film

using poloroid film

does poloroid film come in 4x5 size? I have decided to start with this format & I was wondering if doing poloroids would be a good way to practice using the camera.

using poloroid film

Yes, and it's an excellent way to start learning about how to use the camera. There is 4x5" Polaroid sheet film (my recommendation) and there is pack film, and each requires its own filmholder, which is different from a normal filmholder. You can check out the current models of filmholders and current available film types at the Polaroid website, and also check the Fuji website for Fuji instant films available for use in Polaroid holders.

using poloroid film

Alot of people use Polaroid meterial to test exposure and composition prior to exposing a sheet film, which i find quite absurd unless it is for an assignment that pays good.. A box of T55 polaroid costs $120 here in canada so its $6 a sheet which is a little expensive for my student ass..

So i use polaroid for special occasions and very artsy stuff...

cheers

Jean-Louis Llech

using poloroid film

Gary,
    Using Polaroid films, in pack or sheets, is the best way to learn how to use a large format camera.
    If you are interested by this technique, you could read the book by Ansel Adams "Polaroid Land Photography" ed. Morgan & Morgan 1963. (About $50 used)
    Adams presents the Zone System adapted for Polaroid films.

using poloroid film

Deniz: where do you buy your type 55? It sells for 72 canadian dollars here in Montréal, at Photo Service. Still pretty expensive, but 120 dollars is simply outrageous! Type 54 sells for 58 dollars, if I remember well, which is (almost) affordable.

using poloroid film

B&W Polaroid for 4x5 comes in two main flavours: Type 54 and Type 55. You need the same Polaroid holder for either.

T54 provides a print, T55 provides a print *and* a high quality negative (but they have different speeds so you have to decide in advance which one you want). Search the archives here for more information on them than you will want to read in one sitting... Also download the data sheets from the Kodak site.

Oddly, unlike Canada, T54 & T55 cost the same in the UK...

Cheers,

using poloroid film

If you are thinking about taking up largeformat there are severalfree articles on our web site that might be helpful

www.viewcamera.com

steve simmons

using poloroid film

The site for all things polaroid is http://www.rwhirled.com/landlist/landhome.htm

The #500 film holder is much cheaper and works just as well as the 545. I think I got one on ebay for $8 once. Read the instructions here for using it, as you do have to be a little more careful:

http://www.rwhirled.com/landlist/landfaq.htm#6.1

using poloroid film

Phillipe- I buy my polaroid in Vancouver. Lens&Shutter has it. and it comes to $120 with GST+PST

luckily i've bought the last 2 boxes with the gift certificates i got for my b-day

using poloroid film

The coolest thing about Type 55 is the negative: to really practice movements and focus/DOF, etc., take a loupe and scrutinize the neg--you'll get much more accurate feedback than from the print. You don't need to fix the neg, unless you want to keep it--just watch the goo!