Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ventilation

Ventilation

I am starting to look at ventilation in my new darkroom setup.
    The easiest way would be to piggy back the exhaust to the dryer vent out of the house.

Are there any solid reasons why this should not be done?
    Lint getting in to the darkroom etc?

I have a decent darkroom exhaust fan now, but if need be, Home Depot sells an inline fan to supplement the flow if need be.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/vort...-4-inch/995921

Re: Ventilation

I picked up a range hood for 49 bucks... a few sections of 4 inch PVC and a few elbow and I was golden!

The piggyback scheme you mention is a bit unclear but. I think the issue with what you propose is with a possible backflow from the dryer into the darkroom when there is not enough positive pressure from the darkroom into the exhaust hose to prevent any backflow with its lint infested air. A suitable damper in the darkroom line that can be fully closed could be sufficient to avoid this backflow if it is really tight when closed.

Note also that a four inch diameter dryer hose is somewhat restrictive to a really good airflow.
    I think figures are available for the pressure drop per foot for various diameter vent lines. So essentially the CFM (Cubic Feet per Minute) rating for the darkroom fan you might obtain will be diminished as a function of the exhaust vent diameter.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Like Nathan said, you'll have hot soapy air flowing into the darkroom whenever you dry clothes.

You can buy dryer outlet kits that have the exhaust fitting for the outside wall and plastic duct.
    Installation is usually simple.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Les

Nathan is right, I'd get a 6" separate duct (metal or abs) and hook up each fan (however many you desire) with reducer/expander...if you can do this in the attic. The abs is little tricky, at least in woodworking, where you have to wrap the pipe in ground wire to prevent spontaneous ignition. I've used ultra quiet type Broan fans and have also v. good results with Panasonic. I doubt if either are available at H. Depot, but your local elect supply place should have them (or similar). Probably the last thing you want to hear is a screeching fan (in total misery) for hours while in the darkroom.

Les

I put a 6" Panasonic right through my glass block, it moves air pretty good. Put a Broan rain vent damper hood on the outside with a bird screen that came with it.

Glad I did.

Panasonic FV-20NLF1 WhisperLine 240 CFM In-Line Fan, 6-Inch Duct
    Tin Can

Glass block wall in a darkroom? That's a novel ideal.

Guess you do your darkroom work at night.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

It's my biggest problem, and my only windows. My condo was not designed by me, not ideal, clear glass block with tiny crank out windows above. And my only windows in the whole darn place. I am in the process of walling it all off to give the full dark I seek. The fan had to go in first, a fan inspection hatch, a storefront display hatch, a permanent street display, etc. Then make it light tight as the sinks go under it. All DIY and I have bouts of physical pain, which stops work. It's been 9 months, I had a rough winter, I need to get this done and soon. Soon as my back comes back...

Making the whole thing ADA. Darkroom and studio for my 'golden' years.

Currently I still use the bathroom/darkroom, but as I ramp up to bigger things, it's just too small. Last night the film wash tray upended into the bathtub.

This is a legal live/work condo building only for artists, we were the first in the country 10 years ago. I still had to petition the board for ventilation.

10 years ago I was doing only digital and did not need a darkroom.

This keeps me busy and not chasing...models.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    Glass block wall in a darkroom? That's a novel ideal.

Guess you do your darkroom work at night.

- Leigh
    Tin Can

See http://www.eepjon.com/VentHoods.html

Consider ventilation hoods - which should be right above the trays, not via a ceiling or wall fan.

You want to pull the air off the trays before it goes past your nose, not afterwards.

I have purchased from Jon Edwards before and recommend him with the highest regard.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post

This is a legal live/work condo building only for artists, we were the first in the country 10 years ago.
    Is that what the realtor told you? The folks over at the Brewery in LA would be surprised at that. The lofts there were at least 10 years old when I looked at them 10 years ago.