Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Doing a "Master Reset" on my photography

Doing a "Master Reset" on my photography

I've come to realize that I'm spinning my wheels for the most part. I love shooting film, I love large format. I love digital and its capabilities. Heck I kinda have a "love affair" with it all. The gear(not as much as before, I now just see them as tools), but photography in general, TO ME, is somewhat dead now.... I still get out to expose a roll or two of 120 a week, sometimes not even that much... I've found that picking up a camera(even my little Nikon digital slr) simply isn't ENJOYABLE anymore...

Having just moved into my first(on my own) place, I've got the drum scanner up and running, and it's been liberating to be able to go through and scan old shots I've made, but at the same time I've found my self staring at the screen saying "WHY am I here? WHAT am I wasting my time on this for? I'm never going to print this, much less show it to anyone, WHAT (IS) THE POINT???"

That's the part I'm sick of. Being sick of looking at the past, old negatives/chromes, whatever...

I've decided to put 90% of it all to a viking-style funeral, burn em all! Well, I'm saving the family/friends shots, some other chosen frames, and my Iceland negatives, but the rest will be crispy this week.
    I've always found that performing IRREVERSIBLE actions in times like these is the best way to put my energy into what AHEAD of me, rather than the past.

Don't get hopeful thinking that I'm going to liquidate all of my gear and film stash, NOOOO . I'm just forcing myself to focus on the future, rather than being burdened by the past.

Sorry if this seems like a weird post, but this is a community that I've come to enjoy the company of the past few years, and I'll stick around. But certainly not as much as before. Time to make NEW and BETTER photographs. Onward and upward!

all the best,
    Dan

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: Doing a "Master Reset" on my photography

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Stone View Post
    I've come to realize that I'm spinning my wheels for the most part. I love shooting film, I love large format. I love digital and its capabilities. Heck I kinda have a "love affair" with it all. The gear(not as much as before, I now just see them as tools), but photography in general, TO ME, is somewhat dead now.... I still get out to expose a roll or two of 120 a week, sometimes not even that much... I've found that picking up a camera(even my little Nikon digital slr) simply isn't ENJOYABLE anymore...

Having just moved into my first(on my own) place, I've got the drum scanner up and running, and it's been liberating to be able to go through and scan old shots I've made, but at the same time I've found my self staring at the screen saying "WHY am I here? WHAT am I wasting my time on this for? I'm never going to print this, much less show it to anyone, WHAT (IS) THE POINT???"

That's the part I'm sick of. Being sick of looking at the past, old negatives/chromes, whatever...

I've decided to put 90% of it all to a viking-style funeral, burn em all! Well, I'm saving the family/friends shots, some other chosen frames, and my Iceland negatives, but the rest will be crispy this week.
    I've always found that performing IRREVERSIBLE actions in times like these is the best way to put my energy into what AHEAD of me, rather than the past.

Don't get hopeful thinking that I'm going to liquidate all of my gear and film stash, NOOOO . I'm just forcing myself to focus on the future, rather than being burdened by the past.

Sorry if this seems like a weird post, but this is a community that I've come to enjoy the company of the past few years, and I'll stick around. But certainly not as much as before. Time to make NEW and BETTER photographs. Onward and upward!

all the best,
    Dan
    With this much drama, perhaps you should consider a reality TV program.

But seriously... whatever you end up doing with your life, best of luck to you!

Stop. Think. Don't do it. Burn something that improves with fire, like a Tri-Tip Roast.

Photography is something you can be good as you will ever be in your 20's. That might be your life's best work you are torching. It may be cathartic, but is it really in your best interest?

Just the other day a friend posted a photo on Facebook of a waterfall I can't get to as easily now... that I took "test" photos of when I got my first LF camera... I'm pleased with myself that I recognized the place name and knew I'd already shot it. And I didn't burn the negative, it's right here on my desk.

Never know what will tug your sappy sentimental heartstrings one day. It might be that old stuff. Or you might realize that you knew what you were doing all along.

Hi Dan,

Passages...

We all hit points in our lives when we either stop at the tunnel entrance, or go through the tunnel, leaving baggage behind.

Hope the other end is more exciting.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Burn Baby Burn. I agree, that's the kind of harsh editing that makes the survivors stronger. Just don't start another forest fire like I did....

Dan, the first step is recognizing the problem. Congratulations.

Making a real, if impossibly unobjective, assessment of your abilities and talents is crucial in any endeavor. You must come to terms with the fact that you are the ultimate custodian of your own work. If the work is really good enough, whatever that means to you, or important enough, you must protect it. OTOH, destroying one's creations has a proud tradition amongst artists. If you have any doubt of that, I suggest a trip to Burning Man, where artists destroy a year or more's worth of work and resources in one all consuming conflagration. Nothing but memories (and pictures ) remain. That has centered me on more than one occasion. I am in no way recommending your present course of action, but ardently support your process. You have one great advantage that many (most?) here do not. You're still young enough to travel the forks of many roads.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    With this much drama, perhaps you should consider a reality TV program.

But seriously... whatever you end up doing with your life, best of luck to you!
    Thanks Brian. I'm not looking to create drama, actually the exact opposite. Be able to quickly access the things in my past that I WANT to keep and hold onto(like family and friends shots), but the other stuff for the most part, is pretty much meaningless to me at this point.

Less drama, makes for a simpler and more enjoyable world IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    Stop. Think. Don't do it. Burn something that improves with fire, like a Tri-Tip Roast.

Photography is something you can be good as you will ever be in your 20's. That might be your life's best work you are torching. It may be cathartic, but is it really in your best interest?

Just the other day a friend posted a photo on Facebook of a waterfall I can't get to as easily now... that I took "test" photos of when I got my first LF camera... I'm pleased with myself that I recognized the place name and knew I'd already shot it. And I didn't burn the negative, it's right here on my desk.

Never know what will tug your sappy sentimental heartstrings one day. It might be that old stuff. Or you might realize that you knew what you were doing all along.
    I know what I've been doing , but the thing is: I DON'T WANT TO BE DOING THAT ANYMORE, nor do I want any connection to it, physical or emotional. Hence the sharp cutoff from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    Hi Dan,

Passages...

We all hit points in our lives when we either stop at the tunnel entrance, or go through the tunnel, leaving baggage behind.

Hope the other end is more exciting.

- Leigh
    This tunnel should be pretty short, I'm ready to exit to the other side.

Quote Originally Posted by Otto Seaman View Post
    Burn Baby Burn. I agree, that's the kind of harsh editing that makes the survivors stronger. Just don't start another forest fire like I did....
    This will be done via shredder(and then the trash), or just go balls out and light it all on fire. But I think I'll actually go with the shredder option, since that's a bit more environmentally friendly. LA's already smoggy enough

(Shrek)

I have burned negatives exactly once in my life, when I was perhaps 17, and I very much regret doing it. The few rolls that I burned were the most original photos I have taken, ever.

Of course there are binders of negatives I could burn now, because they're crap and I know enough now to know that they're crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Jody_S View Post
    ... there are binders of negatives I could burn now, because they're crap and I know enough now to know that they're crap.
    If we all burned our crappy negatives simultaneously, the Earth would be shrouded in smoke for decades, causing a new ice age.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

I don't get this at all. Lock them away. Don't look at them. But burning them? That seems like needless and irreversible drama.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know