Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Longish lens - 4x5 on Chamonix 045n-2

Longish lens - 4x5 on Chamonix 045n-2

Hi Folks,

Basically, I feel I am a bit uncertain about a longish lens, despite placing a WTB for a Schneider 350mm on this forum! I have a 90, 135 and 210mm. I am generally a medium-wide, medium long sort of photographer (based on 35mm use). I live in a flat area and when photographing locally don't often feel the need for very wide, but surprising find the 210 often too short. I would like a longer lens for compressing features and for times when I simply can't walk in closer and also when in more hilly areas for isolating distant views. I also need to carry the lens so am ruling out Tele lenses (Nikon 360/Fuji 400mm). So, it comes down to Nikon 300mm or Schneider 350mm. The former is less costly than the latter! I feel that an extension bracket and fujinon 450mm might just induce too much wobble in the wind and so not really solve my "problem"

Any comments on how different the field of view is of the 300/350mmcompared to the 210 and if they really are sufficiently different? (I have a cardboard masked frame to have a rough idea and I often find it further from my eye than lenses I currently have).

Cheers

Graham

Re: Longish lens - 4x5 on Chamonix 045n-2

Love my Nikkor 300mm M f9 on my Chamonix 45n1. Big difference from my 180mm. I also just got a 400mm tele but haven't used it much.

Would love to get a Fujinon 450c but out of the question financially.
    Robert Oliver

Another option is the Fuji C 300/8.5. When I was looking for a 300/9 M-Nikkor (I already have the 200/8), I found a better deal on the Fuji, so I bought one, and have been very happy with it.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/drew_saunders/

Do or do not. There is no try.

Both the Nikkor-M and Fujinon-C have way more coverage than you need for 4x5. Be sure to use a lens shade with either one to reduce the amount of stray flare-inducing light bouncing around inside your bellows.

Another option, and considerably more rare, is the 300mm f/9 Docter APO-Germinar, which also fits a Copal 1. It's lighter than either the Fujinon or Nikkor, with ample coverage for 4x5. IIRC its image circle at f/22 is 255mm, compared with 325mm for the Nikkor and 380mm for the Fujinon.

I use the same lens spacing as you do on my Chamonix, 90mm, 135mm, and 200mm. I recently picked up the Nikkor 300mm but haven't had the chance to use it much just yet. However, it ends up being the same spacing (a factor of 1.5x) as the other three lenses, so the perspective shift will be the same as the 90-135 or the 135-210. Its also more or less a 35mm equivalent to an 89mm, one of my favorite focal lengths. I've thought about adding the Fujinon 450mm, but have paused for the same reasons you've expressed, a concern with shake and stability with the extension. I'm also not sure I need to be out that far as I rarely used the 35mm equivalent of 135mm when shooting landscape.

A lens at 350 or 360 allows the full use of the bellows without the extension, which I think is a great idea. A 350mm lens is 35mm equivalent to about 100mm, which is a focal length I would certainly use. In this case, however, I would probably shift the spacing of the mid lenses by swapping the 135mm for a 150mm and the 200mm for a 240mm. Hmmmm.....decisions, decisions! Overall, I think one might try the lenses one is used to using in 35mm as a start or simply adjust to the new ones. My 135mm is a focal length I've not used before and i really like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Meekyman View Post
    So, it comes down to Nikon 300mm or Schneider 350mm.
    The 305 G-Claron is compact and generally not hard to find nor particularly expensive. Also compact, but a bit harder to find, are the 300 Apo-Ronar and 300 Geronar.

I use an Apo-Ronar 9/300 on my Linhof Technika and it's a great lens. It falls right into the series 90, 135/150, 210, .... 300. It's quite compact and light-weight and shouldn't be too hard to find. The Apo-Ronar 9/360 already needs a #3 shutter and thus is much less compact. Of course, it's also a question of bellows extension and I don't know how far a Chamonix can go. Anyway, I like the 300 a lot for landscape.
    c&c always welcome!

"The world just does not fit conveniently into the format of a 35mm camera." (W. Eugene Smith)

http://peter-yeti.jimdo.com

Thanks everyone. I really want just a four lens set- Important into landscapes so have to carry the kit on my back. So this longish lens will be it. I dont really want a Tele lens for bulk reasons (also read less image quality but leave that open to debate). I guess my concern is that I buy something that doesn't really get me a long lens at all. For information the Chamonix camera goes to 395mm and is limited by the bed, an extension bracket allows 450mm and probably more.

Have a look at the symmar 360mm, use one occasionally on 4x5 and it's great albiet heavy, but that's the price for f5.6. . .

I wouldn't hang a Copal 3 lens on a 4x5 Chamonix.