Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: getting started in LF

getting started in LF

is a 4x5 negative to small to make a contact print from? I would like to get started in LF in this format-I would also like to do my own film developing & printing. I have an enlarger, but it's not a large format one so I need to start out making contact prints. I would appreciate any advice.

getting started in LF

Unless you are satisfied with making 4x5s with your present enlarger, you won't be happy making contact prints from LF negatives.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

getting started in LF

We have an article called Getting Started in Large Format on our web page in the Free Articles section

www.viewcamera.com

steve simmons

getting started in LF

4x5 contacts can be nice, but most people think they are too small - unless you photograph a lot of smaller, simple subjects in detail. Get a 5x7 or 8x10 to start with - they don't have to cost a lot of money. Post another question about how to start in 5x7 or 8x10 inexpensively and you'll get dozens of good ideas...

getting started in LF

gary,

You can get an Omega D2 enlarger that will handle 4x5s on a budget if you look hard enough.

If what you want is to make 8x10 contacts though, you might as well get an 8x10 camera. For studio use, a metal Calumet would be hard to beat for features and economy. If you want to take it into the field, look at B&Js, Agfa -Anscos, etc... If you actually want to hike with it(in moderation) unless your built like "The Governator" take a look at Deardorffs, Kodak Masterviews and Century Universals. Of course if you've got deep pockets, there are all sorts of new and professional type used cameras available.

Some alternative processes are costly ventures and the cost is usually in direct proportion to the format size. In that case a 4x5 or even smaller will provide you with a more economical format to learn on.

An attractive possibility might be to get an older flat bed type camera like an Agfa Ansco or B&J that will accept both 4x5 and 5x7 backs, giving you a 4x5 format to practice with and a 5x7 format capable of (IMHO) intimate contacts with more of a "presence" than many 4x5s.

Good Luck!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

getting started in LF

You're likely to get opinions all over the map on this one, Gary. FWIW, here are my 2¢.

Among the various LF formats, 4x5 is the most common, and the least expensive in terms of typical equipment, supplies, and enlarging. You can get used 4x5 enlargers for anywhere from $250-$400 or so, and about the same for a used 135mm lens (you can use your existing lenses for smaller formats). An Omega D2V condensor enlarger in good condition will serve nicely, and should be fairly easy to find in that price range. With 4x5 contact prints, however, you run the risk of them being thought of as drugstore prints.

In contrast, 5x7 is a great format, and the contact prints a bit more impressive. That format, however, is not well-supported by the film manufacturers (film choices are quite limited, compared to 4x5), and 5x7 enlargers are more difficult to find, and usually more expensive. 8x10 is great for contacts, but supplies are expensive and enlargers for 8x10 are really tough to find - particularly on a budget.

Another alternative with 4x5 is to scan and print digitally. Different than silver prints, of course, and a good scanner that is 4x5 capable (e.g. an Epson 3200) and a good printer (e.g. an Epson 2200) will end up being more expensive than the 4x5 enlarger.

getting started in LF

Contact printing and enlarging are two different things. I myself only did and still do contacts prints only. The reason is simplicity and quality. Some of my 4x5 contact prints are just truly amazing, but most of the are a little too small. Nowadays I use an 8x10 camera. It is the workhorse for contacts. Some have metioned 5x7 as a viable alternative and I agree, I always wanted to have one. I would say, take it easy and read lots about it. Remeber that all negatives unless tremendoulsy huge, can be scanned and printed on transparency material and then contact printed. Check out the forum michaelandpaula@michealandpaula.com You will find tons of information for contact printing only.

getting started in LF

is a 4x5 negative to small to make a contact print from?

You'll have to answer that for yourself. I made 4x5 contact for a number of years. I like small prints. I use 5x7 now. It's just as good if not better. 8x10 is a little too much for me. But I own a few beautiful 8x10 prints made by very good photographers.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

getting started in LF

You've taken 35mm film and gone to the store and got prints, right? Was 4x6" too small? You can get an enlarger when you've decided to make larger prints. In the mean time, you'll have lots of fun.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

getting started in LF

In my experience, 4x5 is a great format for learning LF, view camera movements, sheet film handling, contact printing, and alternative processes. I made a lot of exposures in 4x5 before I got any that I wished were larger than 4x5, and then I made enlargements. Of the 4x5 negatives that I enlarged, only a few looked better enlarged than they did contact printed. How much my printing abilities and subject matter contributed to my assessment of the prints is an open question. My subjects are mostly portraits, which tolerate small printing better than grand vistas, I think. 4X5 enlargers are dirt cheap on the used market, so I don't see that as much of a factor, and the ability to economically enlarge 4x5 negatives makes the format the most practical in LF. 4x5 is the most common large format, and the used market is loaded with accessories, which will end up costing as much or more than the camera when you are fully outfitted. Even if at some point in the future you decide that 4x5 is too small for contact printing and you move up to a larger format, a 4x5 reducing back will ensure that your 4x5 kit survives the transition, even if you sell the camera itself off to finance the upgrade. I've moved up from 35mm through all of the medium and large formats up to 10x12, and I'm still going, but I've never abandoned a format completely. I've found that each has its place, even if it is only in my heart. Good luck.