Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Need expert advice- best light weight folding field camera?

Re: Need expert advice- best light weight folding field camera?

Quote Originally Posted by Imagowan View Post
    Also is benro a good cheaper and light alternative to gitzo?
    Compared to a Berlebach at just over $100.00? No.

And tripods come in all weights and sizes so your question, as asked, can't be answered.

Mounting the lens is simple, the rear element unscrews from the shutter. There is a retaining ring that threads onto the rear of the shutter. You simply tighten the retaining ring against the lens board to hold the lens in place, then replace the rear element. Simple and obvious once you see it but harder to explain ;-p

A lens wrench helps to tighten the retaining ring. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ns_Wrench.html You can probably just borrow one from another photographer.

Somewhere at the front end of this website there are detailed explanations of how to do almost everything.

Look for a Rodenstock, Schneider, Nikkor, Fujinon, or Caltar lens in a modern Copal shutter. There is nothing wrong with older shutters (I own a couple) but a newer shutter will hopefully give you less trouble. Any modern lens is sharp so shop for condition and price.

I would recommend a 210mm lens for your first lens. They are arguably your most versatile lens, they work great for portraits, have large image circles and since there are a glut of them out there they are cheap. You can find a nice f/5.6 example in shutter for $200.00 or less. Of course a 150mm as recommended earlier would not be a bad choice either. I'm just thinking that since you like portraiture you would most likely keep the 210.

There are two excellent ones currently listed on this site.

Go Issy.

I think you should just get the Gitzo. I don't think you will regret it. There is a 1228 on that famous auction site, currently at $300. Comes with Laird leg pads. I think I need those pads to make it easier to carry the camera on my shoulder. I'll probably just use pipe insulation and hockey tape as shown in the video on this page: http://www.oopoomoo.com/2011/12/pimp...nter-shooting/

Ken Lee has a whole page of info on lenses. Fujinon A lens are amazing. The 240 f/9 A is a terrific lens.

Imagowan

Hi guys. Just wanted to give you the update and thank you again for all your advice. The chamonix f1 is beautiful. I just started shooting with it the past few days still getting used to locking everything in place, figuring out what each knob does, etc, but wow is it something. Having no instruction manual is tricky only in that I worry about somehow hurting it. I try to be slow and careful. Excellent recommendation. I will keep you all posted. And special side note to my friend Larry K- I did it! I'm currently in France with beauty.

Way to go Issy! Congratulations on getting your outfit to France. Just make sure you write "Pellicules photo exposees. Ne pas ouvrir!", on all your boxes, tape them shut, and don't let the customs guys open them.

What film are you shooting? How has it been going so far? I need to get back out the door with my camera. I may have someone who is willing to assist me, that would make life easier for me.

One piece of advice I can give you is with regards to unfolding it. If the Chamonix is like other field cameras, it is a good idea to extend the front rails an inch or so before unfolding the front standard. You want to be careful not to scrape the bellows or crunch them when you unfold the camera.

Imagowan

So at the airport I asked for a hand check the woman put the wand to it but then made me put it through the machine... It's portra color 400. On the way back ill ask for a hand check again. The woman on the way over pointed to the yellow circular sticker that keeps the box closed saying normally that's on there. I hope my photos are okay

You should be ok going through the hand check luggage scanners, just never put the film in with your checked luggage; it will be destroyed. I gave up on requesting hand checks, and just put the film in Domke lead lined bags in separate plastic trays and let them x-ray it. I'm afraid that hand check might lead one of them to open a box.

The thing about the yellow circular sticker is that you won't have that on there when you unload exposed film into empty boxes in order put new film into your holders. Did you bring some kind of changing bag or tent? Clearly, most agents aren't aware of the difference between exposed film and unexposed film.