Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need more contrast in my negs

Need more contrast in my negs

So - I've been playing around with a lens that by all rights should have been thrown away long ago. It has big time (and I mean major) balsam separation that covers just about all the lens surface. I've been working with it for creative protrait type of work (I like trying to use weird lens elements for creative looks). Problem is that with the balsam separation (lens is fairly yellow from it) and the fact that this is a pretty old projection lens with no coating, the negs are coming out extremely low in contrast. The density of my normal negs is about 1.1 - 1.2 and those with this lens are coming out at about .25 - .3. Seems if I over expose the negs, I can get the density up to maybe .5, but the negative starts to get somewhat dense when I try that. With that range, I'm very limited on how I can get enough contrast with my prints.

I develop my negs (Ilford Delta 100 and HP5) in PMK Pyro and really don't have much recent experience with other developers out there.

So - I'm looking for ideas (other than N+ development) to get more contrast. Given all this, are there some film/developer types and/or combos that I might try that could give me more contrast than what I'm getting with my PMK Pyro developer? What about using colored filters when making the exposures (I don't even know what color might help with this). Would using pink filters help with portrait type of work since it could render the skin tones a little lighter?

Re: Need more contrast in my negs

Colored filtration depends entirely on the subject. Why are you opposed to increased development? That's really the best answer.
    -Chris

retrogrouchy

Is the density 0.25 to 0.3 or is that the density range? If it's the highlight density, you're grossly under-exposing.

If the density range is contracted, you clearly need to develop for longer. If the negs become too dense, then reduce the exposure accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Dozer View Post
    So - I've been playing around with a lens that by all rights should have been thrown away long ago. It has big time (and I mean major) balsam separation that covers just about all the lens surface. I've been working with it for creative protrait type of work (I like trying to use weird lens elements for creative looks). Problem is that with the balsam separation (lens is fairly yellow from it) and the fact that this is a pretty old projection lens with no coating, the negs are coming out extremely low in contrast. The density of my normal negs is about 1.1 - 1.2 and those with this lens are coming out at about .25 - .3. Seems if I over expose the negs, I can get the density up to maybe .5, but the negative starts to get somewhat dense when I try that. With that range, I'm very limited on how I can get enough contrast with my prints.

I develop my negs (Ilford Delta 100 and HP5) in PMK Pyro and really don't have much recent experience with other developers out there.

So - I'm looking for ideas (other than N+ development) to get more contrast. Given all this, are there some film/developer types and/or combos that I might try that could give me more contrast than what I'm getting with my PMK Pyro developer? What about using colored filters when making the exposures (I don't even know what color might help with this). Would using pink filters help with portrait type of work since it could render the skin tones a little lighter?
    Is there an iris or some other means of applying stops with this projector lens? Have you mounted it in a shutter with an iris for example? If not have you accurately assessed what the effective aperture is? Your developer should be just as good no matter what lens you have used. Exposure has to be the key. You must be under exposing. If the lens aperture is known but you can see that the balsam has yellowed, how about exposing as if you had a filter on? Try four exposures of the same subject and the same film stock increasing the exposures as you go. First at whatever you calculate to be the normal exposure, then at 1.5x, then 2x and finally 3x. Develop them all exactly as you would normally and decide which is best. Then use that factor in future.

RR

Film contrast is controlled with development time and temp. An increase in either will increase you contrast. Changing developers in this situation is like buying a new lens with a smaller aperture, rather than just moving the aperture lever on a lens already owned to control exposure.

Change your lighting ratio by using negative fill (black foam core) if using natural light.
    Why are you opposed to increased development?

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Film contrast is controlled with development time and temp. An increase in either will increase you contrast. Changing developers in this situation is like buying a new lens with a smaller aperture, rather than just moving the aperture lever on a lens already owned to control exposure.
    I read it that he uses Ilford Delta 100 and HP5 already with PMK Pyro. If he is satisfied with the contrast he has been getting with that combination but now with this lens he is not getting acceptable contrast, there is only one variable left to cause the lower contrast and that is exposure.

RR

May I suggest trying Ilford's Microphen developer.

You can purchase it here:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...owder_for.html

Hope this helps your contrast issues!

Since you need a lens where you can control the amount of diffusion that takes place, use a good lens and intentionally control the amount of diffusion. You can place any number of DIY filters in front of the lens and manipulate how the light scatters before it hits the film.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffusion_filter

I really like all the responses so far. I'm not clear on why you're married to such an obviously inferior lens (for your purposes - like you said, throw it away). It's hard to imagine Pyro can't get you as much of what you're looking for as any developer. Try it 1:1. Try Rodinal 1:25. Or try the old standby of selenium toner to boost contrast with your present crop of negatives. Use high contrast printing papers or papers that have "gone off". There are so many options to experiment with.