Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Large Format Android App Launched!

Re: New Large Format Android App Launched!

It looks very good, I hope to try it this weekend. Many thanks for your hard work.

Bruce

Now that is another reason to get an android smartphone. My old BBerry is getting really weak..
    Website of sorts, as well as flickr thing.

indecent exposure cosmicexplosion's Avatar

what about all us poor iphoney users?
    through a glass darkly...

Is this a FREE app? I can't see it on the link it might be that Iran is restricted in GooglePlay.

Couple of quick responses:

-It is a free app, I pushed it out to the Google Play world, not sure if Iran is on the restricted list or not? It also may not be published world wide yet it could take 24 hours or more for updates to flow out. That said I am testing the Ad Module out, not planning to get rich but more for an ongoing usage tracking. Curious to see how the tool will be used over time....plus it has been a good excuse to play with some of these features!

-no short term plans on iOS version, but I do have a pal looking at it. I can't stand Apple's choice of Objective-C (I can barely tolerate Java, am a hard core C/C++ guy) and cant justify the expense....unless I make enough off the ad on this one....HA!

-The aspect ratio issue. Here is the fun part of digital! I like to tell folks large format ground glass is the original WYSIWYG environment! Not so with cell phone cameras. First the camera has its own true resolution. I use that information plus the camera lens info to compute the bounding box based on your film/lens choices. But then the camera has multiple preview modes available, none are guaranteed to match the camera OR the screen ARs! On my Nexus S two preview modes are 720x480 or 640x480...so you can see two very different preview aspect ratios are possible. I decided to choose the preview AR that closest matches the screen AR, even tho that may not match the camera (and by extension the bounding box)AR. There may well be some degree of picture (and bounding box) squishing (highly technical term!) going on....you wont normally notice it with a phone camera app as they normally have a very wide angle lens, but try it on a square and you'll notice it...

Bottom line the bounding box is a good approximate, if you compare it to your ground glass it should be "close" to the actual image, as the image on the phone is probably slightly squished too....

Thanks!

Great idea!
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Doesn't appear to be compatible with my Samsung Stratosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by cosmicexplosion View Post
    what about all us poor iphoney users?
    There is an app for iOS called Viewfinder that has similar functionality.

Jon

Eric Biggerstaff

Nice! I think the aspect ratio for 4x5 is not correct. I set up for 5x7 and that also seems a little off. I loaded it on my Samsung Galaxy S3 as well as my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 and it loaded fine with no issues.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

(Shrek)

Still not compatible with 2.3.3? I assume the problem is with the ads, not the app itself? I've gotten around this before with apps such as Scrabble, by downloading the executable file and installing directly (bypassing Play or whatever the h- it's called this month). Some ads push parts of the app off-screen, but I can work around that.

Ps: I still have my K&R book, 1st edition, '78.