Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Not for sale, Del Riccio 15" bomber lens, window, bombsight? Good for what?

Not for sale, Del Riccio 15" bomber lens, window, bombsight? Good for what?

We have this big lens, trying to think of a use for it.

Any ideas? Get creative...

I want to mount in a wall between 2 rooms, the owner can't decide.

NOT FOR SALE

found this on a website 2007 auction

RARE WWII Aircraft 180 Del Riccio North American Lens
    Description :
    is a SUPER rare vintage WWII Aircraft belly lens. Made by Del Riccio for North American Aviaition. This lens is BIG, and weighs over 22 pounds! 15" width, and comes in it's original drawstring bag, with olive green canvas cover, and still retains it's lens cleaning cloth too! This coming from the estate of a former Flying Tiger pilot who flew in China with the 449th Fighter Squadron in 1943.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130625_214518.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	97655Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130625_214527.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	97656
    Tin Can

Re: Not for sale, Del Riccio 15" bomber lens, window, bombsight? Good for what?

We have this big lens, trying to think of a use for it.
    Frying really big ants?
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

I'll bet it's a fast lens! Mount it through the side of a windowless van and drive around taking night photos, perhaps? What is the focal length? If it is super long, build a camera out of culvert pipe, mount on a pick up truck and explore geologic formations like the hanging valleys in Yosemite.
    It looks like a hernia maker---so beware!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I can't figure how it was used. We know they were mounted in the belly of a bomber. Maybe it's just a window. It doesn't really magnify much, seems to be thick plastic/lexan, maybe it's bulletproof.

The owner has a video editing studio and I keep telling him to mount it between edit rooms as an odd window. It would be safe from theft, breakage and at least a tension breaker.

I may have to get it on 100 year loan...

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Frying really big ants?
    Tin Can

Maybe I'll take it on the roof and look at downtown a mile away...

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    I'll bet it's a fast lens! Mount it through the side of a windowless van and drive around taking night photos, perhaps? What is the focal length? If it is super long, build a camera out of culvert pipe, mount on a pick up truck and explore geologic formations like the hanging valleys in Yosemite.
    Tin Can

I had my hernia at age 7, I'm done with that.

Have van, but only the canyons of Chicago's Loop.

Sear's Tower has a glass shelf you can stand on and look straight down, but I bet they will never let that lens up there.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I can't figure how it was used. We know they were mounted in the belly of a bomber. Maybe it's just a window. It doesn't really magnify much, seems to be thick plastic/lexan, maybe it's bulletproof.
    If it is Lexan, it is a viewport window, not a lens element (though it may have a little bit of refraction, which then would have been calculated into the optical system of the camera behind it). Not intended to be bulletproof, but it is air-tight and pressure proof.

I would say make it the wall mounted side of a fishtank/aquarium. It reminds me of the windows you see in 10,000 Leages Under the Sea, or a James Bond movie. Imagine making a glass or stainless steel tank and fitting this as one side. Then mount the tank from the back of a wall, install an internal light, and enjoy the bubble that comes out into the room.

I think I need a different hobby forum for that one.

I had to babysit fish once. No thanks. They watch you. I prefer all flora and fauna outside where there belong, my cave is for me and a few rogue spiders.

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    I would say make it the wall mounted side of a fishtank/aquarium. It reminds me of the windows you see in 10,000 Leages Under the Sea, or a James Bond movie. Imagine making a glass or stainless steel tank and fitting this as one side. Then mount the tank from the back of a wall, install an internal light, and enjoy the bubble that comes out into the room.
    Tin Can

If it is from the WWII era then it's not polycarbonate (Lexan). Polycarbonate first became commercially available in 1958 or so. It's more likely a form of acrylic - discovered in 1928 - the Brits would call it Perspex..

I vote for the aquarium window usage, as it will most likely make some of the little fish appear bigger. It's probably a real view port. A real lens would have multiply elements, no?