Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How accurate should a Linhof Rangefinder be?

Re: How accurate should a Linhof Rangefinder be?

Quote Originally Posted by dave_whatever View Post
    Or if the GG has been put in back to front, frosted side away from the lens for instance. That would give a uniform error across the range.
    Or someone installed the Fresnel in front of the GG when the Gg was adjusted for the Fresnel to be behind it.

But the first question is about the correct cam.

Quote Originally Posted by dave_whatever View Post
    Or if the GG has been put in back to front, frosted side away from the lens for instance.
    User screw-ups are included in the "damage" category. If the camera is not properly aligned, it's "damaged".

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

I had Technikas for years, a IV and a new Master in 1977, I used untill 1996. You will have to ask Bob Solomon for confirmation, but I don't agree that lens and cam compatability on the V and the Master was attained by adjusting screws on the ground glass of each individual camera. I feel it was attained by setting all cameras up to a standard cam in the redesigned RF mechanism which was then pinned in place.

The ground glass on any view camera back has to be accurately in place in the same position as the film in the holder once it is inserted. When a roll film back is used the same is true. What I suggested to the OP the same way I would proceed if I encountered a similar situation. Start with the basics when trouble-shooting, like first check the power cord. It may be, for instance, that someone swapped out one lens and cam for another of the same focal length without knowing that the infinity stops would need to be readjusted, even for two "identical" optics.

I have my Tech V sitting here in front of me.

Slip the groundglass panel off, and on the inside surface that holds the filmholder in place there are four tiny countersunk screws about an inch or so from the corners, each of which adjusts a small bar that the matte surface of the groundglass rests on. Adjustment of those four screws insures that the groundglass is in registry with the film plane and is parallel to the lens plane.

If you have an old camera that hasn't been for service in who knows how long, I'd have both the groundglass calibration and the rangefinder calibration checked before resetting the infinity stops.

And where in the USA would you do this? Nippon doesn't do cams (and was snotty-expensive) while the good service provider, Bob Watkins at Precision Camera Works, is training.

I don't suspect Precision Camera Works will be particularly cheap. They've serviced my Arca-Swiss B2, and the service charge was in line with the cost of the head.

When I first sent my Tech V to Marflex, I had two lenses cammed and the whole camera adjusted and one part and missing focus scales replaced, and I think it ran me around $1300. What's the point of owning such a precision camera, if it's not in perfect adjustment?

I don't begrudge Bob or the late Martin their fees at all, they are precision craftsmen of the highest order. Just pointing out that there is currently nobody in the USA qualified to adjust the Linhof cams, etc. I am sure that there are some other intelligent repair people who could set things right, but you'd want to make sure they know what they're doing. I don't have any idea what the alternatives are other than patience?

I do begrudge Nippon, who quoted me $900 for a new 45 Technika bellows and gave me a hard sell too boot. That's double what Marflex used to do them for. They lost my business for good.

Patience or sending it to the factory, I suppose. The Linhof website doesn't show any service shops in the Americas other than Nippon Photo Clinic.

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    Patience or sending it to the factory, I suppose. The Linhof website doesn't show any service shops in the Americas other than Nippon Photo Clinic.
    Precision Camera will go to the factory in early Aug for factory training on camming. We will not open any further service centers in the USA.

Dear All
    Many thanks for all your contributions, it's really appreciated. I'll check through the advice and ensure that the cmaera is fully calibrated.

Andrew