Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nearby trips for upcoming vacation

Nearby trips for upcoming vacation

I have time in August for photo trip. I am thinking of driving, so I was looking for nearby places. I am using the word "nearby" somewhat liberally, as I'm willing to travel about 12 hours from where I am to capture some good landscape shots. I am located in San Francisco, CA. Just so you get an idea, a 12 hour trip would take me to Utah (I know; I've done it). Someone recommended Taos NM. I checked and Taos is about 17 hours from here. I would drive the additional 5 hours, so I'm not set on a 12-hour limit. If I don't say anything there will be many suggestions for me to go to Yosemite (especially since I've never been). Yosemite is such a popular destination that attracts thousands of people every year. I'm trying to avoid these crowds, and, besides, I already have a Yosemite trip planned for the fall (2013) or winter/spring (2014).

Slot canyons attract me, so do sand dunes, however, I am not limiting myself to a trip to find these two particular scenes. Have at it. What would be a good trip for me to go to?

Thanks.
    --Mario

Re: Nearby trips for upcoming vacation

I travelled to New Mexico once, I thought Taos was super cool, I would like to go there again, unique terrain.

The various redwood parks in northern California -- starting about 250 miles north of you.

Continue up the Oregon Coast to the Columbia River. Hit the Gorge and return south via Hwy 97, maybe Crater Lake, perhaps over to Lava Beds Nat. Monument (NE CA) then down Hwy 395 and over Sonora Pass back to the coast...or from Lava Beds over to Hwy 5 past Mt Shasta and down.

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    I travelled to New Mexico once, I thought Taos was super cool, I would like to go there again, unique terrain.
    Thanks. That's what I've heard too, Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    The various redwood parks in northern California -- starting about 250 miles north of you.

Continue up the Oregon Coast to the Columbia River. Hit the Gorge and return south via Hwy 97, maybe Crater Lake, perhaps over to Lava Beds Nat. Monument (NE CA) then down Hwy 395 and over Sonora Pass back to the coast...or from Lava Beds over to Hwy 5 past Mt Shasta and down.
    Very elaborate Vaughn. I like it. Something to give some serious thought. Thanks.
    --Mario

Drew Wiley

Sounds like most of the West, which only reminds me of about 500 different options.... plus another 5000 I haven't thought of yet. Heck... For summertime, I'd second what Vaughn said, with one exception, just head north on Hwy 1 ... you'll be out of film before you exit Marin County. Maybe Vaughn can loan you some
    more by the time you get that far. Better to drive at nite so you can't see anything until you reach the Columbia Gorge, or you might never get there. Just pack
    up your gear and supplies and go!!

If you do Taos be sure and check out Great Sand Dunes NP - 2 hours north and easily done either on the way to or from Taos. Do-able even for a drive by shot if you are there early or late - check out Nate Potter's offering - http://www.flickr.com/photos/argiolus/8817180342/ (page 704 in the Large Format Landscape section). August may offer some thunderstorm cloud action if you are lucky. Don't know if you are tenting or using motels but both are available at or just outside the park or in Alamosa (35 mi). GSDNP is the highest, largest (I think) and certainly the most unique sand dune mass in N America crammed as it is against the base of the Sangre de Cristo mountains with their collection of 14K foot peaks as a background. - Chris

We went to the Olympic Peninsula last year. Take I-5 and it's quick and easy.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

I plan on hiking out to Reflection Lake in Kings Canyon NP sometime in August. By that time my pinky toe should be healed (I broke it one morning on a coffee table in the living room) and fording Bubbs Creek should be doable then. About 30 strenuous miles RT. You're welcome to come along.

Thomas

Death Valley.

Zion. Bryce. Moab.

Monument Valley.

Canyon De Chelly.
    You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus. ~ Mark Twain

Les

I prefer the less traveled trails....there are just too may to choose from.

Kings Canyon
    Tuolumne Meadows
    Lassen
    Brookings, OR (and Redwoods on the way)
    Crater Lake
    Rocky Mt
    Sand Dunes (or dunes in Oregon).

Les