Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Box of Rodenstock Lenses

Box of Rodenstock Lenses

I've come across a nice bunch of Rodenstock Lenses. Can anyone tell me if these can be used with a Beseler 23cII for 35mm or medium format enlargement? If not what are they for? (I apologize that I am not actually into large format yet)

APO Gerogon 150mm f9
    APO Gerogon 150mm f9 (different version)
    APO Gerogon 210mm f9
    Eskofat ultragon 210mm f8
    Staeble Magnogon R 105mm f5.6
    APO Gerogon 240mm f9
    APO Gerogon 30mm f9
    APO Gerogon S 270mm f/11

Re: Box of Rodenstock Lenses

Go to ebay and look for selling prices.

They are process lenses, were made to be used in vertical copy cameras. They can be used as enlarging lenses but there are better lenses for that purpose. Not worth very much because the cells are not direct fits in standard shutters.

Oh, yeah. Eskofot is rebadged Staeble, Staeble was, may still be, Agfa's captive lensmaker for their copier division.

Their utility for MF enlarging is hampered by the longish focal lengths--which will cover 4x5" film and larger--but limit the max print size from smaller negs. Most of what you listed have small max apertures which won't as easily snap in and out of focus as will a faster enlarging lens. Better for MF would be something in the 75-105mm range if you plan on making 16x20 or larger prints. Good news for you is that MF enlarging lenses are themselves practically being given away nowadays, too.

Staeble Magnogon R 105mm f5.6
    I think this one is an enlarger lens, certainly you could buy Magnogons that were enlarger lenses. Does it have a fixed aperture or a normal iris?

One should be able to use them all for enlarging lenses and they should perform well. The only one really suited to your enlarger is the 105mm which would be used for 6x9cm negatives.

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    You should be able to use them all for enlarging lenses and they should perform well. The one best suited to your enlarger is the 105mm which would be used for 6x9cm negatives.
    Most will not fit a 23C lens board and none are designed to be used as an enlarging lens other then the 5.6 one possibly.

All of the Apo Geragons are wide field process lenses designed for vertical graphic arts cameras. In short, they are taking lenses designed for 1:1.

The 5.6/105 Magnogon is also a wide angle process lens optimized for 1:1.

The difference of the ray paths/angles is actually greater between 1:1 and 1:2 work then between 1:2 and infinity. So for enlarging, process lenses are worse then the infinity-optimized taking lenses. (But stopped down, even the process lenses are certainly usable in emergency....)

Folks, this is an interesting discussion but isn't really what the OP had in mind. He sent me a message berating me for being pessimistic about his lenses' values. He'd thought this forum would be a good market for them and that I'd spoiled it for him.

So much for the belief that people who post here know anything.

come to the dark s(l)ide..... Carsten Wolff's Avatar
    Australia at the moment, Spain or UK one day perhaps

lol
    http://www.jeffbridges.com/perception.html "Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you are right."

How someone wanting to sell some lenses indicates people here don't know anything is beyond me....

People were just trying to be helpful.