Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Faster and cheaper scan back for large format.

Re: Faster and cheaper scan back for large format.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenrick View Post
    I think it is very hard to have a preference for screen size and touch-technique, until one has tried the back and have feeling for how to use it. Will multi-touch be an important part of procedure? Will the larger screen drain the battery much faster? But of course, a 7" screen seems better and since I live in Sweden I often wear gloves.

I'm sure whatever choices you make for this version 1, much will be changed for a future version 2.
    Thank you Lenrick, your comment is very appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by alexanderfedin View Post
    ... and just 10 megapixels.
    Ours 1st version is gonna produce stunning 200 megapixels and shall support hardware HDR mode.
    Yes, but his was one shot and not a scan back... :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Amedeus View Post
    Not going to happen anytime soon for all the reasons Alexander outlined.

I've ran a CCD sensor development team for a while and believe me, it is so hard to get good yield on these large sensors regardless of pixelsize ...

I would equally pay $50k for an 8x10 back ... but not for 40MP ... I have better than that in my MF back now with great performance ...
    I understand the problems with making a sensor this big. I am hoping for some different approach, like, say, crazy idea, stitch a bunch of medium format sensors together, this way you wouldn't go through the problems of rejecting the whole waffle if something goes wrong. Didn't the Canon 1Ds have basically two sensors stitched together to make a full frame one? And didn't MF backs had that too? I remember my Aptus65 had a problem when I first got it where half of the image had a different color/noise because the sensor wasn't calibrated together or something. Sent it to Leaf and it came back beautiful... So maybe there is an alternative solution.

Now for more than 40MP, even thou I really don't need it, I wouldn't mind paying even more...

Quote Originally Posted by Andre Schneider View Post
    I understand the problems with making a sensor this big. I am hoping for some different approach, like, say, crazy idea, stitch a bunch of medium format sensors together, this way you wouldn't go through the problems of rejecting the whole waffle if something goes wrong. Didn't the Canon 1Ds have basically two sensors stitched together to make a full frame one? And didn't MF backs had that too? I remember my Aptus65 had a problem when I first got it where half of the image had a different color/noise because the sensor wasn't calibrated together or something. Sent it to Leaf and it came back beautiful... So maybe there is an alternative solution.

Now for more than 40MP, even thou I really don't need it, I wouldn't mind paying even more...
    Unrealistic scenario, unfortunately. Why? Because the market of the professional Large Format users is too small, even a bunch of sensors combined into one big is too expensive, enthusiasts are not going to pay that much. May be in 10-20 years...

Unrealistic scenario, unfortunately. Why? Because the market of the professional Large Format users is too small, even a bunch of sensors combined into one big is too expensive, enthusiasts are not going to pay that much. May be in 10-20 years...
    Oh, you underestimate the power of dentists and lawyers... LOL I remember when the Aptus10 was first released, the first 20 or so orders were for amateur photographers... LOL Plus, I know myself at least a handful of still life photographers that would buy one of those (and I don't know many still life photographers...)

Quote Originally Posted by Andre Schneider View Post
    Oh, you underestimate the power of dentists and lawyers... LOL I remember when the Aptus10 was first released, the first 20 or so orders were for amateur photographers... LOL Plus, I know myself at least a handful of still life photographers that would buy one of those (and I don't know many still life photographers...)
    Well, then ask those people how much they want to invest, sum these up and then ask some silicon company to design that supersized sensor for them :-)

Well, then ask those people how much they want to invest, sum these up and then ask some silicon company to design that supersized sensor for them :-)
    Oh, I'm sorry, I thought you were trying to find out what the market for digital backs for 8X10 were interested in, but I realize now you just want to know about the scan back part of it, I should have read the title better... :-)

Something interesting: I've found a CCD sensor with the size of 80.64x80.64mm and the resolution of slightly above 80 megapixels. The sensor is monochrome, at least the one that I know about.
    It is too big for the medium format and a little too small for the 4"x5" large format.
    Can easily be used to shoot panorama 80x127mm or single square frame, or multi-shot for 8"x10".

Anyone interested?

Something interesting: I've found a CCD sensor with the size of 80.64x80.64mm and the resolution of slightly above 80 megapixels. The sensor is monochrome, at least the one that I know about.
    It is too big for the medium format and a little too small for the 4"x5" large format.
    Can easily be used to shoot panorama 80x127mm or single square frame, or multi-shot for 8"x10".

Anyone interested?
    I assume you're talking about the Fairchild sensor for "scientific applications" ... little too rich for my wallet ;-)

There's a even larger one out there ...

From a July 11, 2013 press release

"The camera, IOE3-Kanban, was developed by the Institute of Optics and Electronics under the Chinese Academy of Science and is capable of producing images with 10,240 x 10,240 pixels"

Still looking for my link on a European 100Mpix sensor.
    Last edited by Amedeus; 10-Sep-2013 at 09:58. Reason: Added IOE3_kanban info

I'm not so interested in an 80mm square sensor, especially if it is monochrome only.

The scan back could be interesting. How long will a scan take?