Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Faster and cheaper scan back for large format.

Re: Faster and cheaper scan back for large format.

Quote Originally Posted by alexanderfedin View Post
    Say, if it will take 40 seconds to capture 4x5" with 4800 dpi (1/2 gigapixels) with the shutter speed of 1/16, will have a built-in touch screen to set up shooting parameters and possible crop, and cost < $3K ?
    I'd be interested. I get about 2 Gigs of 16 bit RGB off a 4x5 on my drum scanner and if I had a excellent tool such as this I would be happy. However, they would have to be 4800 good dpi, not like an Epson pasted on the back of a 4x5, for example. I would also build in a black and white mode... that was intelligent.

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Eiger View Post
    I'd be interested. I get about 2 Gigs of 16 bit RGB off a 4x5 on my drum scanner and if I had a excellent tool such as this I would be happy. However, they would have to be 4800 good dpi, not like an Epson pasted on the back of a 4x5, for example. I would also build in a black and white mode... that was intelligent.

Lenny
    I knew that at least a few people would be interested. The question is: how many photographers are willing to pay for such a thing?

I am planning to prototype the one using freely available parts, and I know how to multiply the resolution and make it significantly faster.
    But, to start a company that makes them on a regular basis, it is necessary to know the potential market.

I knew that at least a few people would be interested. The question is: how many photographers are willing to pay for such a thing?

I am planning to prototype the one using freely available parts, and I know how to multiply the resolution and make it significantly faster.
    But, to start a company that makes them on a regular basis, it is necessary to know the potential market.
    I don't thing enough people would be interested to make a scanning back with trying to develop. A large sensor or a series of large sensors would get much more interest.
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
    Ansel Adams

you can't talk in the abstract. If it were $2000 very likely. If it were $5000 or more not likely.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Eiger View Post

Lenny

at $3K, i'd be interested as well.. given Kirk's conditions. The quality of the pixel's captured is important (the Betterlight has *excellent* quality). Using a MacBook Air now, the weight/size of the kit is avery manageable (not much more than taking a lot of film holders.. problem is.. if I'm shooting Betterlight, I usually bring the film holders along anyways.. )

Quote Originally Posted by Jim collum View Post
    at $3K, i'd be interested as well.. given Kirk's conditions. The quality of the pixel's captured is important (the Betterlight has *excellent* quality). Using a MacBook Air now, the weight/size of the kit is avery manageable (not much more than taking a lot of film holders.. problem is.. if I'm shooting Betterlight, I usually bring the film holders along anyways.. )
    Q: how long it takes for your Betterlight to shoot full 3x4 (this is its size, right?) with the "shutter speed" of 1/16? Also, how many pixels do you have in the scanned image on the direction perpendicular to the sensor?
    Last edited by alexanderfedin; 27-Jun-2013 at 23:18.

I am not selling, I am trying to understand if someone offers this, how much would be a demand.
    In other words, does it make any sense to start a business in this area or not?
    I do think so, at least if you are targeting low volumes or individual production to order - all European makers in the field pulled out and are now catering for the digital medium format market or make process camera only backs (with even higher specifications within a very limited stationary application field). So there is a niche to fill - and with current components, prices considerably below the last generation of the 1990s designed backs by the above would be feasible.
    Last edited by Sevo; 28-Jun-2013 at 06:25.

the sensor is 6000 pixel's wide.. will scan 8000 rows in about 33 seconds (fastest line speed is 1/240th). You can shoot at faster line times, it just doesn't decrease the scan speed any. So 1/16 will take 500 seconds to scan. From experience, I've rarely shot that slow... most of my scans are in the 30-90 second range

Q: how long it takes for your Betterlight to shoot full 3x4 (this is its size, right?) with the "shutter speed" of 1/16? Also, how many pixels do you have in the scanned image on the direction perpendicular to the sensor?

Say, if it will take 40 seconds to capture 4x5" with 4800 dpi (1/2 gigapixels) with the shutter speed of 1/16, will have a built-in touch screen to set up shooting parameters and possible crop, and cost < $3K ?
    This would be a great spec and outperform the standard linear scan arrays ;-) ... I assume you're scanning a 2D array since the 40 seconds at 1/16th shutter cannot be done with a linear array at the shutter times indicated. My only concern would be LCC at the proposed 5.2 micron pixel size ;-) ... of course, this can all be corrected for.

Count me in.

At $3K, I'd be interested as well.

Kumar