Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bausch & Lomb Leather Lens Jacket

Bausch & Lomb Leather Lens Jacket

Now this is something I've never seen or heard of. A lens being sold with a leather sleeve, which has two B&L engraved snaps, wrapped around a Portrait Unar. With the focus knob, the iris, and the soft focus, a Unar has more "controls" than most lenses. Maybe that's why it was made, or maybe all their premium lenses had this option. Isn't it amazing all the photography technology that is gone and forgotten, 100 years hence? Who knows what other accessories B&L offered with their lenses. Ebay 271178364072

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8557499064_7764cfeeb1_z.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	87.1 KB 
ID:	97606

Re: Bausch & Lomb Leather Lens Jacket

I have a B&L 1a Petzval that still has the jacket. Makes them worth about triple whatever they are otherwise :~'()

At least...

I'll knit a sweater for the Reinhold Monster.
    Tin Can

I have a similar Unar that is quite loose on the radial(?) focussing sleeve. I made a leather sleeve to keep the lens fully extended (focus wise), so that it didn't suddenly fall forward when the camera was tilted downward. But that covered the silver area of barrell of this lens,

loujon

I believe the lens Garrett Posted is actually a B&L Series A Portrait lens. Just like Jims Jacketed Series A . If you scroll down the seller takes the Jacket off. I find it funny the seller knows it's value ($1831.99usd) but is not clear on whether the lens is a Ia or Portrait Unar. Huh?

BTW message to seller- The barrel say's it all "PORTRAIT F4 5X8 12" FL"

I just don't see a 5x8 12" F4 B&L Petzval w/ funky iris bad blade or two (even w/ barrel Jacket) getting THAT asking price but I've been wrong before a couple thousand times.

Speaking of the OH SOOO COOL B&L Barrel jacket , I remember reading somewhere ( in B&L catalog?) that the top B&L Portrait lenses (Series A-B f4.5-f2.2 and Portrait Unar)came at no extra charge with the Jacket Case Cap as well as Mounted to a nice 9"X9" lens board. I guess we get those extras when we shell out $8000 on a Nikon/Canon Telephoto as well as Higher end optics. But still doesn't feel the same.

Les

No fair :>)...you don't even get a jacket with the new Nikon 800mm, that costs over 18K.

Les

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Pacilla View Post
    I believe the lens Garrett Posted is actually a B&L Series A Portrait lens...
    Nope, it's a Portrait Unar. The second slider gives it away. (One for the aperture, a second for adjustable softness.)
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

The Portrait Unars are the "bad boys" of the soft focus lens world, so they get the leather jackets.

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    The Portrait Unars are the "bad boys" of the soft focus lens world, so they get the leather jackets.
    Hey Garrett, The lens you listed a link to is a B&L Series A Petzval Portrait lens Hey, the Series A,B & the Portrait Unar all three got the Jacket back then so the cool comment still stands.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails B&L Portrait F4 Series A.jpg