Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carbro Tricolor

Carbro Tricolor

HI. Has anyone here experience with carbro tricolor processing. I can find lots of hits on a Google search, but I can not find a detailed account to how it is done. Thanks

Carbro Tricolor

I put carbon tri-color in Google and found a link that satisfied my quest on the google page. Look at the last item called FACTS and open that up and see if that does it for you.

leec

Carbro Tricolor

Thanks for the tip, but it doesn't do it for me. I want to know what the practical steps in this process is/are. And what kind of resources you have to have to do it. Thanks for any information though.

Carbro Tricolor

ask Katharine Thayer.

Carbro Tricolor

David,

I have made quite a number of tri-color carbons and carbros but I gave color work up some years ago in favor of monochrome cabon. It would be difficult to offer you any practical advice on making tri-color carbon and carbro prints because there is simply nothing practical about the operation, especially since there are no commercial materials manufactured for the process.

For a good description of how the process works, with illustrations, I would recommend the 1948 3rd edition of D.A. Spencer's Colour Photography in Practice.

If you have further questions let me know.

I would also suggest that you contact Dick Sullivan at Bostick & Sullivan in Santa Fe. He may have plans to make color color tissue available at some time in the future.

BTW, Katharine Thayer is a three-color gum printer. To the best of my knowledge she has no experience with three-color carbon or carbro.
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Carbro Tricolor

Thanks Sandy, is the monochrome carbon process 1/3 of the full color process? And does it take a laboratory and a chemist to do the carbon process? does it involve dangerous chemicals. Thanks for the help.

Carbro Tricolor

David,

Carbon printing, even the monochrome variety, is quite a bit more complicated than most other alternative processes so the learning curve is quite a bit longer than for some of the popular alternative processes such as gum bichromate and Pt/Pd. It does not take a laboratory or chemist to do carbon process but it does take a lot of patience and ability to deal with failure.

Color carbon is on another level of difficulty altogether since you must also learn to make color separations. This is easier to do today with Photoshop and digtial output than it was twenty years ago, but still not simple, especially if you have to balance color with hand-made color carbon tissue.

I would also suggest that you try to contact Tod Gangler, of Art and Soul Studio in Seattle, WA to talk about the feasibility of making color carbon prints today. I have seen some of his color work with the Ultrachrome process, which was made with digital separations, and it ranks with the best color carbon work I have ever seen.
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Carbro Tricolor

Thank you Sandy

Carbro Tricolor

Contact Jim Browning at Digital Mask. In addition to Chromira printing he does his own dye transfer printing and knows all about other traditional color printing techniques.

Between here and there

Carbro Tricolor

Hello David,

check out this, it might give some ideas about the Carbon process:

http://www.alternativephotography.com/process_carbon.html
    "Be still and allow the mud to settle."