Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Speedotron 2401a

Speedotron 2401a

I just received an old 2401A pack, actually, the 2401a, a 1211 Piggy Pack and an 1801 that has been upgraded to a 2401, and five heads, 202s I was told. Here's the 2401a which I believe is the newest of the trio. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	97503

It was quite dusty and had been stored in an out-building for quite a few years but not sure how many. I was told they worked before being put into storage. Some of the screws are rusted, but all the connectors and switches seem fine.

I've attached a power cord and one head and powered it on. The power light came on, I switched the modelling light on and the fan on the head came on, but no modelling light. I didn't trigger the head... a little unsure of this thing so wanted to ask what might be the best way to proceed.

Re: Speedotron 2401a

get a new modeling light?

make sure you blow all the dust out of the lights especially! nothing kills an expensive flash tube faster than dust/dirt etc.

Well I figured that much . But don't want to blow anything up either
    Mike Guilbault

Quote Originally Posted by MikeGuilbault View Post
    Well I figured that much . But don't want to blow anything up either
    I've had a Photogenic monolight blow up on me once and that was only 300ws. Just want to know a little more about it before I try anything stupid. Lol

if you blow anything up it will be the pack probably. but it should be pretty obvious. speedo packs have been pretty indestructible over the years though - so I doubt very much it would be the case. if you're handy with tools (electronics in general) you could open the pack and check for any bulging of caps etc but just make sure you bleed them first etc... the standard routine.

I have some older Speedotron packs and when I bought them, one had set for years. I didn't want to be anywhere near it if it blew upon being powered up or fired after having set so long. I used a broom handle to turn it on from several feet away, then used another pack and peanut slave to fire it from across the room. One could probably use a power strip with toggle switch to turn it on and a radio trigger setup to fire it but I figure the optical slave would be much less expensive to replace if something blew.

There are instructions online somewhere about how to safely re-form the capacitors.

if anything 'blows' (it will be a capacitor if so) - you won't get any shrapnel from it - NOT TO WORRY. it's just paranoia - it would be nicely contained inside the case - which is very strong. You would have to be holding the bare capacitor with your hand to get any damage at all if it blew up - even then probably not much - just a loud bang and lots of smoke...

I use speedotrons and have for thirty years. I had two of the 2401 packs plus some 2405 and 4800's.

I only had one pack blow and that was due to a generator on location failing and feeding 220v to the unit. It just popped and quit.

Capacitors don't generally pop, it's diodes that make a big bang. I had several diodes blow on Norman 2000 packs. It will get your attention.

Things you should know about older speedotrons, NEVER switch power settings during recycle. It will weld the contacts and possibly blow the pack. Let it totally recycle.

NEVER pull the plug / head connector from the pack while turned on if you want to keep your hand. It can arc and be nasty.

Other than don't use them in explosive environments and in wet places you'll be fine. One of my old packs that I sold was destroyed when the guy I sold it to used it in an explosive environment. He switched power and there was a small spark that ignited gas inside the pack. It blew the pack into two pieces and the top half went twelve feet in the air and hit the ceiling. It bulged the case and ripped the screw holes out of the side. The head connector was blown apart and a hole was blown in the side of the case. Speedotrons evaluation was explosive environment / fumes in the case. It was in an industrial setting where it happened. Speedotrons said there wasn't enough power in the unit do do this kind of damage.

Speedotrons units are extremely rugged and reliable. Just do not do the above no no's and you'll get great service out of them. They're industrial strength machines made to run hard.

Never use another manufacturers heads on your pack unless the have been adapted or you have the proper pigtails. The connectors may be the same but the voltages may be different. In almost all cases the pin configuration / wiring is different. For example Speedotrons and Norman used the same plug as did early 60's Ascor. The voltages were correct but the Norman plugs brought high voltage in on the pins that Speedotron connected the cooling fan through. You connect the wrong head and you have 900v on the fan. Pigtails can be made to use Norman heads on Speedo and speedo on Norman.

There are a few exceptions but generally this is the safe rule. You're dealing with a great deal of power, 2400 joules. It only takes 50 joules to stop your heart so be safe.