Thread: Help with development times (Arista + HC110)

Help with development times (Arista + HC110)

I can't find development times for Arista EDU Ultra 100 (shot at 100!) and HC-110 (dilution B). The Digital Truth website lists this combination with the exception that the film is shot at ASA 50. The Arista documentation doesn't even list times for this combination. Can you guys please help? Thanks so much in advance.
    Last edited by macandal; 20-Jun-2013 at 09:30. Reason: correcting bad grammer
    --Mario

Re: Help with development times (Arista + HC110)

Try looking at foma 100 which is the real origin of the film.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolasllasera View Post
    Try looking at foma 100 which is the real origin of the film.
    Ha! I just did and there's no info for dilution B or sheet film. Seems like the powers-that-be don't like my combo film/developer!!
    --Mario

By the way HC110 "B" is a terrible developer dilution for Foma or Arista. Rodinal (non solvent developer) or XTOL at 1:3 would be the better choice, even though XTOL is a solvent developer, the 1:3 dilution would give outstanding results. If you only have HC110, use a higher dilution than "B" like dilution "F" or "H"....Fomapan 100 HC-110 "H" 9 minutes at 20C for sheet film Notice i used Fomapan which is what Arista film is.... Call Freestyle if in doubt and ask....they have a great technical staff just for questions like yours. Also consider another developer like diluted D76 or diluted XTOL or think about Rodinal.

Quote Originally Posted by photobymike View Post
    Call Freestyle if in doubt and ask....they have a great technical staff just for questions like yours.
    I emailed them about that.

Why is dulition B so terrible for Arista?
    --Mario

Well the higher dilution produces more perceived sharpness... It is the way the developer works on the silver .... higher concentrations like "B" make less grain but effect the sharpness. If you are using sheet film you dont care much about the grain as you would the sharpness of your image. I use sheet foma 100 all the time with Pryo HD The developing times are not listed ...but who cares... i get shadow detail like you would believe ...... 2+2+100 dilution for 10 minutes at 20c

one stop difference on Foma (Arista) is nothing.. this film is so forgiving that you might like the results

Then again 4.5 minutes developing time is to fast for developer time.... with such a short time there is a large "fudge factor" and thats at 68F if you have to go with warmer developer it be as little as 3 minutes and thats just to short.

Couple of tips 1- use distilled water to mix all of your chemicals 2- pre rinse your film for 5 minutes before the developer. 3 - use very diluted stop bath. some photographers use only water. 4- use an acid fixer with a hardener Kodak Rapid Fixer is my favorite. Fomapan film is "old school" silver film and has a soft emulsion after processing. I found this picture that will give you strong points as well as weak properties of Kodak developers

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kodak_developers.gif 
Views:	17 
Size:	13.4 KB 
ID:	97343

I got an answer from Freestyle:

Quote Originally Posted by Freestyle Photo
    The recommended processing time for Edu Ultra 100 4x5 and HC110 dil. B is 4.5 minutes at ISO 50. If you shot the film at ISO 100, my recommended starting point is 5.5 minutes at 68F
    --Mario