Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shutter-Speed-Tester for the iPhone

Shutter-Speed-Tester for the iPhone

Hi,

my name is Lukas and I wrote a little app for the iPhone that allows you to check the shutter speeds of your cameras or your LF-lenses.
    I thought this might be helpful for one or two, so I'm telling you about this

The App itself uses a acoustic measuring method to determine the shutter speed: You can record the shutter release sound, and the App displays the waveform of this sound. Because the shutter makes a noise, when it opens and closes you can see two peaks in the signal. The time between those peaks is the shutter speed of your lens/your camera.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shutter_Speed_Lomo_small.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	97141

Of course, this acoustic way of measurement has it's limits. That's why I invented a small extension for this app: A phototransistor-plug. With a small phototransistor at the top, it allows you to measure the actual light passing through the lens:

Name:	stecker.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	97147

It's pretty simple to use, just point the camera or the lens against a bright lamp, position the fototransistor-plug behind it, and release the shutter:

Name:	aufbau.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	97143

What you get is a waveform like this:

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	97145

You will see two clear peaks, and you can easily determine the shutter speed from this.

The App plus the phototransistor-plug is a very powerful tool that allows you to check the accuracy of your lenses/your cameras quickly and without wasting money for film. I already sold several of them and I only get positive reviews about the plug.

If you are interested and if you have an iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad, I would be glad if you give it a try:https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/shut...l=de&ls=1&mt=8
    And if you like the idea and want to get more precise measurements, especially at faster speeds, you may want to try the phototransistor-plug as an extension: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shutter-Spee...item3a81f265cd

Thank you

Best,
    Lukas

Re: Shutter-Speed-Tester for the iPhone

My hat goes off to you, my friend!

On it NOW!

Thanks!

Testing will begin shortly!

Quote Originally Posted by Lukas View Post
    Hi,

my name is Lukas and I wrote a little app for the iPhone that allows you to check the shutter speeds of your cameras or your LF-lenses.
    I thought this might be helpful for one or two, so I'm telling you about this

The App itself uses a acoustic measuring method to determine the shutter speed: You can record the shutter release sound, and the App displays the waveform of this sound. Because the shutter makes a noise, when it opens and closes you can see two peaks in the signal. The time between those peaks is the shutter speed of your lens/your camera.

Name:	Shutter_Speed_Lomo_small.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	97141

Of course, this acoustic way of measurement has it's limits. That's why I invented a small extension for this app: A phototransistor-plug. With a small phototransistor at the top, it allows you to measure the actual light passing through the lens:

Name:	stecker.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	97147

It's pretty simple to use, just point the camera or the lens against a bright lamp, position the fototransistor-plug behind it, and release the shutter:

Name:	aufbau.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	97143

What you get is a waveform like this:

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	97145

You will see two clear peaks, and you can easily determine the shutter speed from this.

The App plus the phototransistor-plug is a very powerful tool that allows you to check the accuracy of your lenses/your cameras quickly and without wasting money for film. I already sold several of them and I only get positive reviews about the plug.

If you are interested and if you have an iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad, I would be glad if you give it a try:https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/shut...l=de&ls=1&mt=8
    And if you like the idea and want to get more precise measurements, especially at faster speeds, you may want to try the phototransistor-plug as an extension: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shutter-Spee...item3a81f265cd

Thank you

Best,
    Lukas
    Tin Can

Seems to work nicely with audio only on a Copal 3. I second is 0.8 sec. Faster than 1/30 gets tricky with the manual setting required. I feel it is worth the $3 and I ordered the optional light measuring device.

Such a simple thing but so handy for many of use.
    Tin Can

Hi Lukas. Any plans to write for the Android?

It works pretty well on the iPad. I really like the user interface... Simple and easy to figure out.
    Two things.
    1. It would be nice to be able to print the camera results table. Not a big deal cause you can do a screen capture and print the picture... Minor issue.
    2. A little more annoying was that the app froze up when I tried to shut down without saving a camera first. Not a huge deal cause once I saved the first camera, it worked fine.

I've done similar tests using audacity on my Windows computer. For speeds slower than 1/250 or so that works fine. This app provides the convenience of calculating a one third stop deviation table and formatting a table on the screen. For that convenience alone, it's well worth the $3.

I have an opitical shutter tester too. For my use, I actually like the audible test better for the slower speeds. The audible tester can see (hear) the shutter start open, stop open, start close, and stop close.

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	97159

Very good and thanks for design effort.
    Bill

I would think it would be easier to adjust the sliders on an iPad.

I am resisting an iPad until my iPod Touch 4 fails. And I hope it doesn't, the darn thing now does everything.

I never use it for music.

The trick will be not losing the photo eye dongle...

I agree, thanks for the app.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_4606 View Post
    It works pretty well on the iPad. I really like the user interface... Simple and easy to figure out.
    Two things.
    1. It would be nice to be able to print the camera results table. Not a big deal cause you can do a screen capture and print the picture... Minor issue.
    2. A little more annoying was that the app froze up when I tried to shut down without saving a camera first. Not a huge deal cause once I saved the first camera, it worked fine.

I've done similar tests using audacity on my Windows computer. For speeds slower than 1/250 or so that works fine. This app provides the convenience of calculating a one third stop deviation table and formatting a table on the screen. For that convenience alone, it's well worth the $3.

I have an opitical shutter tester too. For my use, I actually like the audible test better for the slower speeds. The audible tester can see (hear) the shutter start open, stop open, start close, and stop close.

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	97159

Very good and thanks for design effort.
    Bill
    Tin Can

Hi,

thanks for the positive feedback !
    Would be great if those who ordered the photo-plug could post their experiences with it, once you received it (shipped it today).

There won't be an android version so far. It's quite difficult to develop and maintain an app on two platforms, and at the moment I just don't have the time for that. But maybe I will try it someday.

Bill, when exactly did the app crash/freeze ? Would be great if you can describe the error in more detail so I can try to find the issue.

Best,
    Lukas

indecent exposure cosmicexplosion's Avatar

Brilliant thank you!!!!
    through a glass darkly...

Thanks
    I relisted the eBay auction, because all plugs of the previous offering are sold: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shutter-Spee...item3a822ccdad
    At the moment there are only 4 plugs left, but I will built more soon.