Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Compact & fast 4x5" backpack

Re: Compact & fast 4x5" backpack

I wouldn't dwell on the "Right Bag" too much . . .there is no such thing.

Any time you modify your photogaphiuc objective, then change up your kit a bit to serve that goal, the current bag will be less than perfict.

I have a selection of bags of different sizes and configurations, from a bullet proof Pelican hard case to a full sized LowePro AW Treker and on down to smaller shoulder bags. Most were bought used at pawn shops for not that much. A couple are pretty non-descript and off brand or no label, though effective in protecting the gear . . .and a little stealthy. I also have a drawer full fo spare dividers scavenged over the years to help in padding out whatever is packed To my wife’s dismay, have been known to buy a really worn-out bag just for the deviders.

Another option is PhotoBackpacker protective boxes. They work great and can be used to organize any bag . . .even a casual tote bag or an executive looking messenger bag. The gear stays in their boxs and can be put into any bag. They may be velcroed together (or not) and the company will make a velcro nounting board to fit any pack or bag for you (they are pretty responsive on this board).

Another thought is to use a Grafmatic or two; less stuff to move around/store and six shots each.

Let us know what you do and post the pictures here!

Cheers
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

I thought I would be original in mentioning the flipside, but it seems it's a quite popular bag.

I have a 400AW for my digital stuff and it works quite well for a light 4x5 setup. It's reasonably comfortable, but not really made for a heavy load. It does hold a surprising amount of gear for it's exterior dimensions. I'm 1.87m and I have the feeling that it would be more comfortable if I was a bit shorter, I need to have the shoulder straps close to it's longest setting.
    A big advantage of this bag is that the back opens instead of the front, so you won't get a wet back after every time you use it.
    It can hold a light tripod on the front as well.

I like the Jan Sport Equinox for my smaller large format kit.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I have carried my Toko 4x5, 6 holders, 3 lenses, filters,one spot meter and black T-shirt used as dark cloth in a daypack for over 20 years. It meets all of your requirements, costs little, and weighs almost nothing.

Thank you all. I should soon have a mint Lowepro Mini Trekker AW. The reason I went with this backpack was combination of the right size, features and price (fraction of new Flipside series). It will not get used too often or for long hikes - it just should keep the basic 4x5 setup ready to go when the occasion comes (I am trying to remedy my 4x5 activities and this could be the way) and allow to setup the camera quickly.

I will post the inevitable 'what's in you bag' photo once it arrives
    Matus

Just a very quick feedback (photos will come a little later) - the backpack is here and seems to work quite well. I can fit the following in the main compartment:
    - Tachihara 4x5" + compact focusing hood (on top of the camera)
    - Fujinon 125/5.6 CMW
    - Fujinon A 240/9
    - 5 Film holders
    - loupe (Horizon 4x)
    - Gossen Digisix
    - the front pockets hold the necessary bits and pieces.
    - and still have a little free space.

I did not test the tripod-attachment (I do not quite need it) yet.

Better arrangement would be possible, it would require different dividers (the long ones in particular), but works OK as is and will certainly do the job intended. Should get some use in very few days.

Possible improvement - external bottle-pouch that could be attached to the side of the backpack (there are attachment points on each side)
    Matus

I just went through the same exploration relating to a backpack choice and looked very closely at all the options mentioned thus far. The one I ended up buying is by a company called F-stop (fstopgear.com). The approach I liked about this company is one chooses the pack and the inner lining (called an Internal Camera Unit or ICU) separately, so the option to mix and match is almost infinite. In my case, I carry a bit more equipment that you do and trek all day with the gear, so I chose the Loka backpack in the Mountaineer series. I bought it with two different ICUs, a large "shallow" for my 4x5 and a small "pro" for my digital 35mm. My water bottle and tripod are carried on the sides. The Loka is probably bigger than you will need, but there are plenty of smaller options. The F-stops are all a bit pricy, but they are very well built and a much lighter alternative to most of the other options out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Matus Kalisky View Post
    Thank you all. I should soon have a mint Lowepro Mini Trekker AW. The reason I went with this backpack was combination of the right size, features and price (fraction of new Flipside series). It will not get used too often or for long hikes - it just should keep the basic 4x5 setup ready to go when the occasion comes (I am trying to remedy my 4x5 activities and this could be the way) and allow to setup the camera quickly.

I will post the inevitable 'what's in you bag' photo once it arrives
    Well.. lowepro line got worst suspension i ever seen amongst photobacks. So after a bit you will be back

Quote Originally Posted by SergeiR View Post
    Well.. lowepro line got worst suspension i ever seen amongst photobacks. So after a bit you will be back
    Yeah, but you're not talking about a substantial load, so I think the suspension issue is a little overstated compared to packs for larger kits...

Don't get a "photo" backpack for that. You'll carry as much weight in padding as in camera gear.

I do essentially what you're asking with a camelbak backpack like this. I place the body in the bottom wrapped in the dark cloth. On top of that I bring two lenses and maybe a granola bar. A couple holders go in a ziplock in the smaller pocket. Sticks get carried by hand. I've very comfortably hiked 10 or 12 miles in a day like this.
    -Chris