Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Compact & fast 4x5" backpack

Compact & fast 4x5" backpack

Hi,

I am trying to follow the advice I got in this thread and putting together a compact 4x5" setup that consists of: Tachihara 4x5, Fujinon 125/5.6 CMW, Fujinon 240/9 A, 3 film holders, darkcloth, lightmeter and all the relevant bits and pieces and maybe a bottle of water.

The tripod would be carried either in hand, or on a neck strap over my shoulder (that works surprisingly well as the weight under 1.5kg)

What I need is to find a compact backpack (maybe even shoulder bag) that would just fit this gear and that would allow me to work out of it quickly. I want to have all the gear mentioned stored inside and have ready to go.

I have looked what is around and something like Lowepro Mini Trekker could do the job - also can be had used for very reasonable amount. I do realise that something like Think Tank Airport Essentials could be the ideal solution, I just do not want to pay that much as I expect to actually use it about once a month.

This back(pack) is supposed to used only for shorter outings (often around city) - no full day tracking (for those cases I would pack the gear in a 'full sized' and more comfortable trekking backpack), so the harness needs to be just OK.

I DO have the camera case and backpack from photobackpacker - but as good as this setup is, it is not what I need here.

EDIT: I actually have a solution for a shoulder bag, so let's concentrate on the backpack here, thanks
    Matus

Re: Compact & fast 4x5" backpack

Have you seen this thread?
    Occasional pictures at this boring blog

With the caveat that you'll need to modify the long divider so it goes side-to-side, this one:

Quote Originally Posted by sethlatimer View Post
    Have you seen this thread?
    Thanks! Actually I have posted there too when I was starting with 4x5 It also reminded me of the Lowepro Omni series which could fit the bill too (not in production anymore) - bit on the heavy side though.

Concerning the new products The Lowepro Flipside Sport 20l looks interesting too.

- Sal -
    The Streetwalker looks interesting too. Quite light as well.
    Matus

Quote Originally Posted by Matus Kalisky View Post
    ...The Streetwalker looks interesting too. Quite light as well.
    Another advantage, at least to me, is that it's made (very well made) in Vietnam, not China. None of the repulsive stench that's almost universal with Chinese textile products.

I only wish it were available in a color lighter than black. But you probably don't worry as much about overheating from sunlight as we do in the southwestern US.

I just got a new Manfrotto backpack, the Veloce V for my lightweight 4x5 kit. I like it so far, although a couple of the dividers are sewn in needlessly. The main feature I like is that it opens from the front, so you don't have to put a dirty or wet pack on your back. It's very streamlined at the cost of a lot of extra packets, but it's enough for me. Plus, it was only $80.

I like the Lowepro Flipside; it comes in a few different sizes, the largest being the 400.
    They are well-made and simple, and open from the back for protection against theft.
    It carried a Wista RF, three lenses, six film holders and all the related accessories, and cost under $100.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-Sale-New...item4d0d9dff4a

I have the original MiniTrekker. Fits exactly what you list comfortably, with room to spare. Not the most comfortable on long hikes, but better than a shoulder bag.

Mini Trekker by Scott --, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    I like the Lowepro Flipside; it comes in a few different sizes, the largest being the 400.
    They are well-made and simple, and open from the back for protection against theft.
    It carried a Wista RF, three lenses, six film holders and all the related accessories, and cost under $100.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-Sale-New...item4d0d9dff4a

I also like the flipside backpacks. I have the 300 and 400. Both can hold my Linhof Technika, some holders and a few lenses (obviously the 400 can hold more holders and more/larger lenses).

I like Think Tank bags too, I'm using their Airport Takeoff for my larger kit. But for the small kit I prefer the Flipside packs since they open on the inside, which seems more secure (against theft and zipper failure) and also means that if you put it on the ground while you're working, the straps don't get dirty.

Ari--there is also a Flipside 500 model now. It's big enough to hold a technikardan, lenses and holders. But it's technically too deep for international air carry-on.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah A View Post
    I also like the flipside backpacks. I have the 300 and 400. Both can hold my Linhof Technika, some holders and a few lenses (obviously the 400 can hold more holders and more/larger lenses).

I like Think Tank bags too, I'm using their Airport Takeoff for my larger kit. But for the small kit I prefer the Flipside packs since they open on the inside, which seems more secure (against theft and zipper failure) and also means that if you put it on the ground while you're working, the straps don't get dirty.

Ari--there is also a Flipside 500 model now. It's big enough to hold a technikardan, lenses and holders. But it's technically too deep for international air carry-on.
    Thanks for the heads-up, Noah.
    I may be purchasing a TT Security for travel, and taking my chances with it for int'l carry-on.