Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to mount Bellows (Kodak 2D)?

Question How to mount Bellows (Kodak 2D)?

Hello all,

I'd like to ask how the bellows are mounted to the rear bellows frame on a Kodak 2D (8x10). I found some advice on how to install it to the front, but none about how it is installed to the rear.

I can not see glue residues on the particular part of the frame, but many little nails and some cardboard(?). I made a little sketch that shows how I think the bellows might attach to the frame. Is this the right position? Is it attached only by nails (no glue)?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	96595Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	96594

Can anyone please tell me how this is done?

TIA

Matthias

Re: How to mount Bellows (Kodak 2D)?

I think screws, not nails were used. Here are a couple of photos from mine ... I included the 2d picture (blurry as it is) to show that the bellows material didn't wrap over the top of the inset frame.

I looked at two 8x10 2Ds ... one from Kodak and the other made by Folmer-Graflex for Kodak ... both were the same.

Name:	2D back bellows attcmnt 1.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	96652Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2D back bellows attcmnt 2.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	96653

I think the screws are used to attach the frame to the rear camera body. Mine has a bunch of tiny tacks holding the fabric to the inside of the frame.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

Jon is correct, both of my K2D's are like that, small tacks/nails that hold the bellows in the frame,
    the cardboard strip is a spacer to bring it flush to the inner opening of the frame.

Probably mounts similar to the Century: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...l=1#post281851

Is any glue used or just the tacks?

Thank you all for your answers

As Jon Shiu already said, the screws mount the bellows frame to the rear box (I know this, because took it apart ). By looking on the images Jim Graves kindly provided, I think my idea on where the bellows might be attached to the frame seems to be correct.

I'm still uncertain about the cardboard. Jim C. said »the cardboard strip is a spacer to bring it flush to the inner opening of the frame«. I thought the rabbet might act a a light trap – but this could only work if it's not flush to the frame. Any thoughts about that?

Last but not least, like Jim Graves, I'd also like to know if any glue is used or just the tacks

TIA

Matthias

I had a similar setup on an old Ansco I just re-bellowed. I used "rubber cement" (actual name of the product). There wasn't much evidence of glue left on what was remaining of the bellows but there was bellows material stuck in the corners of the frame. I assumed the glue had completely powdered away. I put the glue on the bellows and the frame, let it dry a little, pressed the bellows into the rabbet and then clamped little strip of wood into the rabbet on top of the bellows material until the glue set up. The wood strip were only temporary. kevin

There were no tacks on my Ansco so we may have completely different animals.
    Last edited by redshift; 10-Jun-2013 at 13:50. Reason: add

Looking at my bellows again the front is glued, looks like hide glue because of the alligatoring of the squeeze out
    the rear has no evidence that they were glued, in any case if you want to glue the rear I see no reason not to.

Name:	IMG_1690_3.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	125.5 KB 
ID:	96805

Quote Originally Posted by Jim C. View Post
    Looking at my bellows again the front is glued, looks like hide glue because of the alligatoring of the squeeze out
    the rear has no evidence that they were glued, in any case if you want to glue the rear I see no reason not to.

Name:	IMG_1690_3.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	125.5 KB 
ID:	96805
    Thank you I first have to clean (and reglue) the rear frame, when this is done I'll try to mount the bellows this way.

Since there is not much information about this, I'll also will try to document the procedure and post it here.

--Matthias