Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Handheld 5X7 thoughts

Handheld 5X7 thoughts

I just read about the Travelwide 4X5 project on Kickstarter. I like the idea but am in no position financially to add new gear (especially the necessary W/A lens) to my collection, so I thought about just using what I already have, which is 5X7 gear.
    I have a 115mm Caltar IIN and would like to build (just for fun) a camera around it that is similar to the Travelwide camera. If I could eventually get my hands on a 4X5 travelwide camera I could just modify it for 5X7, but I would kind of like to build my own camera. I will be able to design and build the camera pretty easily out of thin plywood, but the helical focus/lens mount is where I will get stuck.

Any thoughts or ideas on acquiring or making a helical zone focusing mechanism for a large format camera? Is there another focusing method?
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

Re: Handheld 5X7 thoughts

IIRC, Peter Gowland used the helical gear salvaged from a Graflex model on some of his cameras, I'm not sure of the model Graflex however. I know there was a man who worked for Peter assembling cameras---his name might be on the Peter Gowland website---he'd be the one to ask. If Peter's shop is still in business, they might even have the helical gear to sell you.
    Good luck!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Rodenstock makes calibrated focusing mounts for all of their lenses in a 0 size shutter (1 for each lens so there are a lot of them). Schneider also makes them for their 0 shutter lenses.

You can get one by simply ordering it.

What if you made it fixed-focus? Does it really need the helical? If you set it to focus at a predetermined, or maybe hyperfocal distance for more depth of focus, you would at least know where you need to stand to make the photo. I just did this with a 6x18 camera and it works great. Although I am working from a tripod and small apertures are not an issue as they may be for you if you are hand-holding.

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

Richard, I would like the option of not having to tripod mount, and not have to use small apertures exclusively. If I could have a focus scale on the helical so I could estimate the distance and then just set the helical, that would enable me to shoot with wider apertures and faster shutter speeds, which I would need for handheld shooting.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

Fixed focus is the answer. Set it at the hyperfocal distance for f16 and you are in business.
    I once built a primitive focusing mount utilizing a threaded sewer cap.

Search ebay for a helicoid Bronica focusing attachment for an S2 camera.

Footman sold a helical for ~$250, Grimes did one for a bit more, and some folks have adapted larger 35mm or MF lens barrels. Ironically, the Travelwide is the cheapest source for a helical that I know of right now, and I was thinking of buying one to sacrifice it for the helical.

Or calculate how many sheets of 5x7 you're going to ruin and buy a decent used DSLR with the savings instead. At least then you'll have some photos in focus without motion blur.