Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Voigtlander Petzval lens # 611 Come take a look

Re: Voigtlander Petzval lens # 611 Come take a look

it is a peerless fast acting portrait lens. i will try to post a photo later

The Peerless lenses were made in Europe and imported and sold by Scovill. First mentioned in the July 1872 issue of the Photographic Times (Scovill's publication). Scovill hints at but doesnt tell us who made them..... any guess?

They came in 2 speeds, "standard" which was probably f/4.5 and "quick acting" which was probably f/3.5

Dan

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	peer2.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	96421

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	peer.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	103.7 KB 
ID:	96420

Antique & Classic Camera Blog
    www.antiquecameras.net/blog.html

Actually, there were several phases of Scovill Peerless. The earliest were made by Richard Morrison, who was CC Harrison's forman and a famous lens maker in his own rights. They were radial drives of very high quality. After perhaps a year, none over serial number 9xx if I recall, Scovill decided to get them made overseas. These are tangent drive (there are a few transitional made by Morrison with tangents too). R. Morrison was out of the picture, though he made and labeled his own lenses (mostly landscape) for years. I've had numerous of both types, and the later ones appear to be Gasc Charconnet to me, but just based on comparisons.

Garrett,

You are correct about there being radial and tangent drive versions. And ditto Morrison's early involvement - thanks for the reminder. Here is helpful info from an exhcange I had with Milan Zahorcak (well known lens collector) years ago about this:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    RE: [woodandbrass] Morrison's "Full Figure" Lens
    Posted By: mzahorcak mzahorcak Send Email
    Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:44 pm |

Dan,

The Scovill/Morrison portrait lenses were the Peerless line. They came in two forms: tangent drive which Scovill imported (probably Gasc & Charconnet built) starting in 1871/2; and the radial drive versions that were built by Richard Morrison that also carried the Peerless trade-mark and a very, very few were signed by Morrison - but I haven't been able to figure out which lenses were signed or why.

Here is a radial drive Peerless/Morrison "Full Figure" lens signed by Morrison - the only one I've seen:

http://www.pacificrimcamera.com/mila...s-Morrison.jpg

mz

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks
    Dan

Antique & Classic Camera Blog
    www.antiquecameras.net/blog.html

I have a new hypothesis. The brass barrels may have all been made by the same company, whether radial or tangent drive. See here: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...=1#post1330346