Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the new MOD54?

Thoughts on the new MOD54?

I've been doing tray developing in my little bathroom/darkroom for the past few months since I started LF, and while I get good results, it's not the most time efficient way of doing it since I do it one sheet at a time and am scared to do more than 1 at a time for fear that I will get something coming up like heavily scratched sheets or two sheets getting stuck together and subsequently damaging each other.

The MOD54 seems to present a more convenient way of doing things - all the convenience of daylight tanks, including not having to wait until nightfall to convert my bathroom into a darkroom.
    Has anyone tried the revised version, and what were your thoughts?
    Last edited by nightbringer; 1-Jun-2013 at 23:12.

Re: Thoughts on the new MOD54?

Only use it if your film is vary thick. Medium thickness films and thin films will come out of the slots an you will not only ruin one sheet of film but the one next to it. Ruined much worse then a few scratches from tray developing.

I recommend doing a search for more info there a several threads a lady on the mod54.
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
    Ansel Adams

I've got the original Mod54. I have used it for about 25 sheets without an issue. If you are not loading in a dark room, it can be a bit tricky to load in a dark tent or bag. The film sheets do catch the edge very easily, but once you get the hang of it, it works fine. Once the sheets are loaded they work fine as long as you don't agitate too vigorously.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Guru View Post
    Only use it if your film is vary thick. Medium thickness films and thin films will come out of the slots an you will not only ruin one sheet of film but the one next to it. Ruined much worse then a few scratches from tray developing.

I recommend doing a search for more info there a several threads a lady on the mod54.
    What films are usually considered thicker films? I've been shooting mostly with Fomapan 200, and also have a lot of Fomapan 100 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Yo' Vinny View Post
    I've got the original Mod54. I have used it for about 25 sheets without an issue. If you are not loading in a dark room, it can be a bit tricky to load in a dark tent or bag. The film sheets do catch the edge very easily, but once you get the hang of it, it works fine. Once the sheets are loaded they work fine as long as you don't agitate too vigorously.
    Haven't had much problem with them slipping out? Also, what's the chemistry usage/consumption been like?

Quote Originally Posted by nightbringer View Post
    Haven't had much problem with them slipping out? Also, what's the chemistry usage/consumption been like?
    Not much sipping out. I seat them really well when loading and after developing thay are a tiny bit looser, but not to the point of coming out of the holder.

I use a fresh liter of Dev each time.

No shipping out for me, but I only reverse the tank once every 3 minutes. One liter, you use the MOD 54 in a Paterson for 3 135mm films.

Thick films are for instance FP4+ and HP5+, those don't slip out. I do not know about fomapan in 4x5, but in 120 the fomapan base is rather thin I believe.

Thanks for the replies. I ended up biting the bullet and buying one from CatLabs - I'll post back here with impressions.
    I bought a couple of Grafmatic holders from another member here too, which should be coming soon so it'll be great to be able to test several products at the same time.

I have been using the original Mod54 with Tmax 100 and haven't had any film slippage or uneven development (with a pre-soak) issues.

Didn't measure but I judge Fomapan 100 (aka Arista Ultra.edu) at least as thick as Ilford FP4+

Best,

Cor