Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Chicago sun times gets rid of all photo staff

(Shrek)

Re: Chicago sun times gets rid of all photo staff

Quote Originally Posted by ArthurBlack View Post
    Pizza boxes?

If you've not already seen it, I suggest watching "Shooting Robert King". Pizza boxes are the least of the worries.
    I didn't want to get political, as I've had quite a few of my posts deleted by the mods here. I thought 'pizza boxes & underwear' was safe.

BTW, I've participated daily on a number of Internet forums for more than 10 years, this is the only forum where I've ever had a post deleted, much less a dozen. I find that a little odd, given that I have never once attacked someone, participated in a pie fight, or deliberately brought up a forbidden topic for serious discussion.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Maybe they can get rid of all the reporters too, and just ask people to twitter them if anything happens...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Quote Originally Posted by Jody_S View Post
    I didn't want to get political, as I've had quite a few of my posts deleted by the mods here. I thought 'pizza boxes & underwear' was safe.

BTW, I've participated daily on a number of Internet forums for more than 10 years, this is the only forum where I've ever had a post deleted, much less a dozen. I find that a little odd, given that I have never once attacked someone, participated in a pie fight, or deliberately brought up a forbidden topic for serious discussion.

The relationship between politics and photography is obvious; hence it seems critical to the relevance, intellectual health, and impact of the forum that we encourage political discussion rather than discourage it.

Quote Originally Posted by JMB View Post
    The relationship between politics and photography is obvious; hence it seems critical to the relevance, intellectual health, and impact of the forum that we encourage political discussion rather than discourage it.
    Except that political discussion isn't discouraged on this forum, it's expressly prohibited.

I'd caution anyone who's thinking of taking your encouragement not to. Those who don't follow the rules get deleted/banned.

All art is political, even images of blank walls.

However, context is king.
    Tin Can

Newspapers are generally focused on today's news, not often the kind of in-depth story you're talking about. For that we used to go to magazines and books (and some still do).
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

This is KARMA big time !!! First Kodak developed digital cameras ( shot themselves in the foot !) .After that ,most news and sports photographers started using digital cameras , ( if you search online you will end up find a prediction i made about 10 years ago that they would loose their jobs ) .Soon the sports photographers will loose theirs ,due to the fact that soon magazines and papers will get their prints from the game broadcasters ( High definition recording can be stopped at any frame of any action at any time , the image can be saved and sold online , just wait and see ...)The wedding photographers will be in trouble as well . I've seen many wedding photographers teaching workshops ,this is the beginning of the end .In the area where i am, Boston , i've seen people shooting weddings for $350.00 and delivering the photos on cds .Now that 18 megapixel cameras can be purchased for less than $700.00 and most people share their pictures online anyways and even more on their Iphones that, believe or not, makes any crap picture look good ,we will see the demand for high price photographers to drop like lead in water .And there's more ... the digital curse continues , i will go even far by making a bold prediction here ," even nikon and canon will pay a high price for their quest for the best digital camera ".As the quest for high pixels continues , cell phones are also getting better and better with some apps that complete whatever it lacks .My cell phone does almost everything i need except pizza ,but it tells me where to go to get one . In a few years , cell phones will replace DSLR and if Canon and Nikon don't start developing their phones they will be following the footsteps of Kodak . Remember , you heard it first from me !!!
    By Edersandro Lopes

Does your cell phone decide where to stand, where to point the camera, and when to press the shutter?

And stills from video rarely works without careful planning and full control overt he action. The shutter speed for video is typically 1/50 or 1/60 - way to slow for sports action. Most stills form video that you see are where the producer has total control over the motion and can slow things down enough to work at 1//50 shutter speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Miller View Post
    Does your cell phone decide where to stand, where to point the camera, and when to press the shutter?

And stills from video rarely works without careful planning and full control overt he action. The shutter speed for video is typically 1/50 or 1/60 - way to slow for sports action. Most stills form video that you see are where the producer has total control over the motion and can slow things down enough to work at 1//50 shutter speed.
    Neither does your 35mm ,6x7,4x5,5x7 ,8x10 decides where to stand , where to point and when to press the shutter ! Guess the field in these areas are already leveled ! I guess you missed my point completely , just wait and you shall see ! No offense but when you say a shutter speed for a video is 1/50 or 1/60 you thinking 1980's . If you are into shooting sports for a living , save as much money as you can , sports photographers still have a few years ahead of them before they become obsolete just like the newspapers photographers .The concept of "Frame Grabbing" from video is old , sports photographers have been doing it since motor drive but, now with digital hd high speed video recording and cameras like RED ONE ... just wait and see .The picture bellow was taken from a video .Not perfect ,but we have to start somewhere .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails forum5.jpg  

So glad to be an avid hobbyist photographer and retired.

At first I was pissed to put out to pasture early, at age 58, but now at 62, I'm more than happy just f***ing around.

I have no idea, how people work and have fun.
    Tin Can