Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Chicago sun times gets rid of all photo staff

Re: Chicago sun times gets rid of all photo staff

I know a lot of people still in the business. Basically they are at a loss about how to save the newspaper industry and are flailing around just trying stuff.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Let's face it, newspapers are last-century technology. It's hard to justify a prepress staff, printing staff and press, and petroleum-fueled distribution networks in these times. The daily newspaper here is getting thinner and smaller all the time. Like many here, I started my career in newspapers and respect the print media for in-depth reporting. I'm not sure where I'm going to find real news in the growing world of infotainment.

I, too, hate video clips with embedded ads, and I don't like going on-line to get news. Too much crap to wade through to get 5 seconds of information.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    I hate video news especially when it is just TV anchors at their desk...
    ...which is what local television news is more and more. Fewer reporters on staff to go out in the field, and the reporters are their own crew, just put a little video camera on a tripod, film themselves, edit the video on a laptop, and send it back to the station. Here in Tucson, stations hire part-time reporters because it looks too weird having all four nightly field reports come from the same reporter.

The Information Age eats its own...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

(Shrek)

I guess from now on it's (bad phone video) of someone who just (saw/survived/was related to someone/no connection at all to) + (some horrible event) + (some bobblehead at a desk providing mandatory expression of disbelief) = 'news'.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Gomena View Post
    I, too, hate video clips with embedded ads, and I don't like going on-line to get news. Too much crap to wade through to get 5 seconds of information.
    I had this conversation recently with a Wall Street Journal customer service rep who called to chastize me for not making maximum use of my subscription by also registering for the on-line service. She seemed to understand when I told her that I like sitting in an easy chair with a cup of coffee and the paper rather than staring at a computer screen to get the news. But in the end her attitude was sort of "well good luck with that".

I also prefer a print paper and magazine.

I cannot get newspapers as they are stolen before I get them, inner city Chicago.

One of my paid in advance for 2 years mags, Time Out Chicago, just cancelled print without refund.

I have changed my computer station to a stand up set up in the center of my darkroom/loft so I can walk by and check in without sitting.

Next is a throne room screen for what used to be magazine time...
    Tin Can

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Gomena View Post
    Let's face it, newspapers are last-century technology. It's hard to justify a prepress staff, printing staff and press, and petroleum-fueled distribution networks in these times. The daily newspaper here is getting thinner and smaller all the time. Like many here, I started my career in newspapers and respect the print media for in-depth reporting. I'm not sure where I'm going to find real news in the growing world of infotainment.
    The change in media and the change in quality may be related economically, but they're not the same thing. Move from paper to digital has no implicit effect on the quality of content or editing. The problem is that the ubiquity of digital information sources makes it hard to get paid for content.

The photography staff getting laid off is is just an extreme version of what's been happening for years now to writers. As bad as disenfranchisement of real photographers may be, I think writers are much more important to the news. I'd rather have a story written by a real journalist and illustrated by iphone pic than the reverse situation.

The Sun Times has been a crappy paper for a long time now. I don't get the impression it ever recovered from the Murdoch days. The trouble is that the same pressures are being faced even by the remaining good papers.

Alex Garcia, a PJ at the Chicago Tribune— http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/...oto-staff.html

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

I suppose the next step is to fire all the reporters and ask for volunteers from high school newspapers. A better move would be to fire all the executives and re-hire the photographers and reporters.

Until moving here for family reasons I lived in Bend, Oregon, a town of about 75,000 people. The newspaper there had like 6 professional photographers (some were full-time, not sure all of them were, I know they had a full-time photo editor) and the paper seemed to be doing fine from what little I could tell by reading it.

I'd hate to lose all newspapers, something about having that first cup of coffee while reading from my computer monitor just isn't quite the same.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

[QUOTE=cps;1032564 -
    I think this also clearly explains why they want more of that video content - it probably means more ad revenue.

Chris[/QUOTE]

You got it.