Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PMK vs HD

PMK vs HD

I have run to tests with these developers. One using 35mm FP4+ and one using 4x5 Tri-X and FP4+. The first article was in the June/July 04 CameraArts and the second will be in the July/Aug 04 View Camera. The result seem consistent in both tests

PMK creates more stain,more elevated high values, a slightly sharper print and just a little more grain. I also seem to get a little more film speed from PMK.

One alwys has to calibrate their film and fim developer to te paper they are using. This is true with a staining developer and a non-staining developer. The comments about PMK not working with variable contrst paper are innaccurate. If you are not getting enough contrast with a staining developer then increase your developing time just as you would with a non-staining developer.

steve simmons

PMK vs HD

Steve, Do your tests include densitometer readings or just test prints? In either case, did you have the opportunity to test UV measurements or UV sensitive processes in addition to visible light?

PMK vs HD

Steve, Do your tests include densitometer readings or just test prints? In either case, did you have the opportunity to test UV measurements or UV sensitive processes in addition to visible light?

????????????????????

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

My final product is the finished silver print. I test using the mnimum time for max black process. It never fails. This may insult the sensitometrists in the group but I end up with very similar densities and wonderful looking prints which is what photography, at least for me, is all about.

I have not tested but I do not know why the results would be any different for pl/pd pints.

steve simmons

PMK vs HD

No commentary here on which was is better, just wondering what was in the test.

I'm curious about the pt/pd vs ag prints question because some of the sensitometry data I've seen seems to show that HD stain is more UV opaque than PMK stain is for equal values of visible light opacity. A side by side comparison of using PMK and HD to make dual-purpose negatives would be very interesting.

PMK vs HD

Steve, did you also test a conventional developer like HC-110 or D-76 as a control variable? If you could post hi res scans it would be interesting.

PMK vs HD

If you could post hi res scans it would be interesting

Larry, you wanna see pictures, you have to buy the magazine.....:-)

PMK vs HD

Jorge, funny how that works....

I will recieve my copy of View Camera in the mail. But even then some hi-res scans on the web would be nice. I had the opertunity to see Bruce Barlow's prints from a few issues ago, and the reproduction in the magazine was not suitable for making any determinations of quality. I suspect the same will be true of these tests - but I could be wrong - we will see.

PMK vs HD

The differences will be obvious in the magazine

steve simmons

PMK vs HD

Steve, given that the only measuring device in use in these tests is your eyeballs, how did you determine that "PMK creates more stain"? And what kind of stain is PMK creating more of; general stain or proportional stain? Also, what do you mean by "more elevated high values"? Do you mean that there is more density in the high values? As for " a slightly sharper print and just a little more grain", that is a very subjective statement, and in fact, without any kind of variable controls or measuring devices, your entire comparison is meaningless to anyone but yourself. Why bother publishing it? You could just as effectively published a simple statement declaring your preference for PMK.

PMK vs HD

You could just as effectively published a simple statement declaring your preference for PMK

LOL.......