Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Silent cross country walking trip with a 4x5

Re: Silent cross country walking trip with a 4x5

Just read the article....Some people are good at marketing

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I vote for awesome! I wish him the best of luck!
    Another +1 .... I even went to Kickstarter to see if they were still taking donations.

I'm a fan of personal quests especially when the quest doesn't involve making a fortune on the backs of others, so it seems righteous and if people donate, more power to him. I would be more interested if he did humanitarian work as he walked. I also think that a Yale Grad should just get on with a career and leave the soul searching to those that don't have so many options. I'm on a personal quest that is often interrupted by daily life.

Quote Originally Posted by Otto Seaman View Post
    Obviously he is fortunate enough to have no student loans from his $57,000 per year Yale education.

It sounds idealistic but to me it seems vain and pretentious, a spoilt rich kid having the luxury to do this while his peers are struggling just to make payments. I bet he needed the Kickstarter money because his family said enough is enough, and it wasn't like he would get a job to pay for it himself.

Still I have to admire his use of the Calumet coat hanger camera since many of us would quake at the thought of carrying such a beast....
    Why is it "obviousl" that he had no student loans? I don't see any indication in the article of how his education was financed, how rich he or his family might be, whether he had student loans or didn't, and whether his family gave him any money. But don't let the complete absence of facts stop you from making your stereotypical assumptions and shedding tears for some unknown peers who you think are struggling to "make payments."
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Obviously he is fortunate enough to have no student loans from his $57,000 per year Yale education.

It sounds idealistic but to me it seems vain and pretentious, a spoilt rich kid having the luxury to do this while his peers are struggling just to make payments. I bet he needed the Kickstarter money because his family said enough is enough, and it wasn't like he would get a job to pay for it himself.

Still I have to admire his use of the Calumet coat hanger camera since many of us would quake at the thought of carrying such a beast....
    Is there a better time to take such a journey? He's finished with school, but doesn't have a job he needs to quit. He presumably doesn't have a wife and kid yet that he needs to support. He hasn't tied himself down with a lot of material possessions like a house that needs to be looked after. He may have loans, but it's possible his family could help him pay them for a year.

Think of it this way, he's not taking one of the few jobs out there so some other graduate can get that job and pay of his bills.

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    Why is it "obviousl" that he had no student loans? I don't see any indication in the article of how his education was financed, how rich he or his family might be, whether he had student loans or didn't, and whether his family gave him any money. But don't let the complete absence of facts stop you from making your stereotypical assumptions and shedding tears for some unknown peers who you think are struggling to "make payments."
    hi brian

its obvious he is LOADED because he is using a large format camera and film.
    as we all know, a 4x5 + film are ONLY used by the well off, not to mention the cards he plans on using to communicate
    with people, they must have cost a fortune!

john

I wish I could be an enthusiastic supporter of this young man but having first hand experience of the elitist, self-exploiting "lens-based" art that Mr. Crewdson encourages from his students I'm dubious of his intentions. What will his pretentious, quasi-monastic vow of silence accomplish other than to shut him off from meaningful conversation with local people, enforce stereotypes of the lofty absurdities of the academy that put this asinine idea in his head and produce a slew of nonplussed self-portraits of him quietly admiring his deaf, dumb and stupid conceit? How could anyone confronting this young man understand this project as anything other than an extended, sustained exercise in condescension? What do you suppose will happen once he leaves the coddled hamlets of the coast for the "provinces"? He should have a sign that reads "please stop punching my face as I'm just a horse's ass with an ivy league degree and an inability to relate to people below my station in life." Hopefully, for his wellbeing; the inevitable case of crotchrot that he's overlooked will stop this before something less forgiving does.

Quote Originally Posted by frotog View Post
    I wish I could be an enthusiastic supporter of this young man but having first hand experience of the elitist, self-exploiting "lens-based" art that Mr. Crewdson encourages from his students I'm dubious of his intentions. What will his pretentious, quasi-monastic vow of silence accomplish other than to shut him off from meaningful conversation with local people, enforce stereotypes of the lofty absurdities of the academy that put this asinine idea in his head and produce a slew of nonplussed self-portraits of him quietly admiring his deaf, dumb and stupid conceit? How could anyone confronting this young man understand this project as anything other than an extended, sustained exercise in condescension? What do you suppose will happen once he leaves the coddled hamlets of the coast for the "provinces"? He should have a sign that reads "please stop punching my face as I'm just a horse's ass with an ivy league degree and an inability to relate to people below my station in life." Hopefully, for his wellbeing; the inevitable case of crotchrot that he's overlooked will stop this before something less forgiving does.
    You go Brother! More harsh reality, less art fairies!

You go Brother! More harsh reality, less art fairies!
    So anyone that does not share your opinion is an art fairy?

New Orleans, LA

This is what youth is for. I wish him well and would be interested to see the results of his adventures.