Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tripod question

Re: Tripod question

How much do you have invested in your gear? Including lenses, camera, filters, etc.? Why skimp on the tripod? Ok expense is a good reason. However, knowing the thousands of dollars in camera gear, lenses etc. that I have invested, it only makes sense to bite the bullet and buy the best support system I could to insure stability. After doing a lot of research and homework, comparing side by side pods and heads, I had to agree with what Frank posted here a while back. The TVC-34L, 4-section Carbon Fiber Tripod from Really Right Stuff (light as a feather) but stable enough to hold a V8, goes over 7 feet without a center-column seemed to fill the ticket. Yeah, it costs as much as a used V8, or any decent 5x7 or 8x10, but I doubt I'll ever look back. Plus you can always add the center column anytime down the road if you wish.

Les

Re: Tripod question

Well, I went for the Feisol 3371. It's 4.8lbs, CF, can handle sand and salt and accomodates my tall frame (over 6'). The closest weight comparison I could make w/Gitzo was their "traveler" (series 2), though still $430 over my Feisol. Anyway, I've been using it for over a year and no issues. However, if you're going to use Manfrotto 410 gear head on it, one would need a "riser" to gain more tilt. I had one built locally....that's the only minus I could think of. The other day I used it with 400mm (FF)....and I wouldn't hesitate to put a 4x5 (mine is hefty 11lbs) or the most expensive Hassy/Phase One on it. One can always hang some weight (for additional stability) from the bottom hook. Indeed, you can also add a center column to the Feisol, but that would likely compromise the stability.

Les