Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tripod question

grumpy & miserable Joseph O'Neil's Avatar

Tripod question

Walking around for 3+ hours yesterday with my wood Berlebach (spelling?) tripod in the heat just about did me in. I have three excellent tripods, all very heavy. I have an older Gitzo for example, built like a tank, which my 8x10 sits on, but you know something,after yesterday, I ain't gonna go anywhere with that sucker unless it is in a car.

I need something light weight - like a decent carbon fire tripod. I am looking for something that does not break the bank, it such a thing does exists, but at the same time I can use either my 4x5 (either my Tachihara or my Crown Graphic), or my Nikon D700. The irony here is, at least to me, I think my D700 with the 24-70mm zoom weighs more than any of my 4x5s. I have plenty of good heads that all fit on the standard 3/8th screw mount.

I walk / hike on both paved trails and dirt trails, with some very minor climbing (such as up 30 - 50 foot high river embankments, etc), so any suggestions greatly welcomed.

thanks ahead of time.
    eta gosha maaba, aaniish gaa zhiwebiziyin ?

Re: Tripod question

Is this for the 8x10? If so, what 8x10 is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Richards View Post
    Is this for the 8x10? If so, what 8x10 is it?
    No its not

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph O'Neil View Post
    I need something light weight - like a decent carbon fire tripod. I am looking for something that does not break the bank, it such a thing does exists, but at the same time I can use either my 4x5 (either my Tachihara or my Crown Graphic), or my Nikon D700.
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
    Ansel Adams

You mention "not breaking the bank", but that means something different to everybody. For what it's worth, I'm using an older Gitzo 1227 MkII for everything from 4x5 (Chamonix 045F-1, heaviest lens is probably the Nikkor W 210mm), to Hasselblad to a Nikon D800 (with 300mm f4 AF-S and 1.4x TC). I think it cost around $700 when I bought 10-ish years ago, and I still haven't found a compelling reason to upgrade. If I were to replace it I'd likely be looking at something in Gitzos Systematic 3 series. IMO, $700+ for a tripod that, with a bit of care (and you don't drive over it), will last a lifetime, works out to be pretty cheap.

Many folks like the 3 series Gitzos, but here using a 2 series with good success - nice size, lightness, stability tradeoff. Not sure its strong enough for the long tele, check first. Other options are the RRS tripods, very well regarded, but expensive and usually have to wait a bit. On the less expensive side are the Fiesols, but they didn't do the trick for me.

I had the same issue with the same tripod.

Feisol.

grumpy & miserable Joseph O'Neil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post
    I had the same issue with the same tripod.

Feisol.
    What was wrong with the Feisol. I would love a Gitzo, but it is past my budget at this point. I have been looking at some of the off brands, such as Sirui. I have been using one of their carbon fibre monopods for over a year now, and it is both lightweight, and built like a tank. right now, a $700 or even a $500 tripod is just out of the question.

thanks
    eta gosha maaba, aaniish gaa zhiwebiziyin ?

Used TILTALL (get the one made by Leitz). SIX pounds, including a great built-in tilt/pan head. Steady as a rock, last a lifetime, usually under $100 on eBay.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Induro Adventure series tripods, alloy units are under $200, light weight and sturdy.
    Rick Allen

Argentum Aevum

practicing Pastafarian

For hiking I have a Benro C2570T three section tripod that I'm perfectly happy with. The only downside is that it has a centre column. It is very light, rigid and well made. The legs are easy to use and take apart for cleaning and the twist lock is very reassuring and reliable.