Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Where to find Large format Camera Tripods on a student budget?

Re: Where to find Large format Camera Tripods on a student budget?

FWIW, my old Tiltall works just fine with my Speed Graphic and Graphic View, but they aren't the stuff for 8x10s (it will handle a Gowland Aerial but definitely not a 'dorff!)
    I, for one, won't discourage you from shooting LF on a student budget. It can be done. You can find used, affordable tripods that will support your LF camera but it will take time---the thrill of the hunt is part of the fun. Don't disregard modifying a surveyor's tripod to 1/4-20. In the mean time, see about borrowing or even renting and make some photographs.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Paradox - student on a budget using 8x10 film.

More seriously, just look around all the different places that sell used photography equipment - craigslist, dealers like B&H or Adorama, photo.net, etc. Don't get too hung up on the manufacturer's ratings. I have an old Gitzo aluminum tripod that was supposedly for medium format but worked fine for 8x10. Since carbon fiber is the popular (and expensive) material these days you probably should concentrate on an older aluminum or wood tripod. I would think you could pretty easily find a tripod and head that would suit your purposes for $100 or so.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    The Tiltall won't even hold a small field camera. It's simply not strong enough.

Everybody wants a four-ounce tripod that will support a 16x20 view camera. Ain't happenin'.

The laws of physics and principles of engineering are not opinions, they're facts.

Anybody who doesn't understand that LF requires effort would probably be happier with a cell phone camera.

- Leigh
    My eyes must be deceiving me because I've been using a Tiltall to hold my 4x5 and 5x7 cameras just fine, for many years. Perhaps the most "Majestic" thing is your insistence that you are absolutely right and that the experience of thousands of photographers using Tiltalls with view cameras never actually happened.

I've used a tiltall to hold my B&J 8x10 a bunch of times, but it's not ideal enough to recommend. I generally do not extend the legs when I do this. Do as I say not as I do sort of thing. It's my ideal everyday tripod for 4x5 speed graphics. I usually use a cheap surveying tripod for my 8x10.

Buy the best Pan-head/Ball-head that you can afford: That is, spend all of your tripod money on the tripod head.

THEN go to a hardware store and buy a short step ladder. N ow mount the tripod head to the top of the step ladder and start shooting.

This will get you out and shooting . . .its not ideal (there is no such thing as real-world ideal), and it won't be as solid as you want, but hey . . .you are just starting out.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

There is a good article by Bill Kumpf here on this site about converting a surveyors tripod to accommodate a camera.

Between the Ground Glass or somewhere in the dim room.

Hmm. After a conversation with one of the instructors at the college today I seem to recall that he too voiced the idea of a surveyor's tripod. If it has to be done, well then it has to be done. I don't mind carrying extra weight if I have to in order to complete the job. Used to carry 90-135lbs between my medical supplies and my gear on a daily basis back in the service. So if it is a sturdy rugged tripod that is needed; then by all means I won't discount it. If it comes down to having to save for a few months to get what I need then by all means I have no problems with that.

I've never been one to need the newest shiney high speed low drag gear that seems to be the mind set of the commercial store front these days. Love the ladder idea. Might just try that. lol

V/r,
    Doogie

Drew Wiley

Surveyor tripods.

Check out Shopgoodwill.com

Some very good deals come up quite often.
    "I would like to see Paris before I die... Philadelphia will do..."

It is not entirely clear from your post whether you are starting with 4x5 and want to buy a tripod and head that will allow you to use an 8x10, later, or if you are trying to start out with both a 4x5 and an 8x10 with a tripod and head combination that will work with either.

I would not recommend trying to start out with an 8x10, either by itself or in combination with a 4x5 and neither would I recommend trying to find a tripod and head that would be adequate for an 8x10, but to be used with a 4x5. I think you will get much further, quicker, down the LF road starting out with a 4x5 and an adequate tripod-head combination for it while leaving the question of an 8x10 for later, if ever.

One other thing would be not to waste the money you would have to spend to get an adequate ball head for a 4x5, never mind an 8x10. Setting up a view camera and getting it properly leveled is a lot simpler with a head that allows adjusting one axis at a time and nothing is more irritating than going through the process and losing it all when you have to loosen the ball head to make a slight adjustment.