Thread: ULF: A story from the last decade of the previous century.

ULF: A story from the last decade of the previous century.

Dhe difference between a collector and a photographer.

Back in the 1990s I belonged to a camera collectors club. We met once a month to have coffee and talk about serial numbers and obsolete roll film formats: Does it have the red dot, is it pre-war or marked “Occupied Japan” and so on. I learned a lot about photography too.

One of the members had such an extensive and eclectic collection that he added a second story to his garage and built a display room. Three walls had built-in display cases for his best items with cabinet space below for duplicate seconds (and thirds). All good stuff and lots of it.

The middle of the room was dominated by two classic studio cameras on stands . . .both were huge and complete, with lenses to match. My recollection is that they were both larger than 11x14, but the specifics are lost to me. Now, in my mind’s eye they look like the paired guns of Navarone . . .in golden brass and oak.

I was working in a hospital at the time doing Nuclear Medicine Imaging. I had access to sheet film in large sizes along with the automatic developing equipment and chemistry to match. The chemistry was compatable with Tri-X and I was running a few sheets of my own 8x10 once in a while. I thought it would be a great idea to expose a few sheets of MRI or CAT Scan film in these old studio cameras from time-to-time and anticipated developing the collaboratrion .

The project was proposed to him during a break at a club meeting and at first he didn’t get what I meant to do. I went through it again with cheerful enthusiasm and his eyes got wide, “You mean, TAKE PICTURES?” He darted his eyes around nervously. I pointed out that I would take care of the film and developing, that it would only be every few weeks or so, and what fun . . . He broke out in a cold sweat, turned and walked away. He never would talk about it with me again:

A true collector.

A sweet What-Might-Have-Been . . .Oh Well.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

In the desert...

Re: ULF: A story from the last decade of the previous century.

...good story!

One could even make a three-way distinction between 'Collector,' 'Photographer,' and 'Digital Photographer.' Reminds me of the year I finished my Century 8x10 restoration (large thread on this forum out there). I saw a picture of a studio Century in an advertisement for the local 'Camera Club.' I went to one of the meetings to meet up with others that were using Century cameras to compare notes. When I got there I realized it was a 'Digital Camera Club.' When I inquired about using the camera, which was located in their meeting area, I was told a third of the members wanted to keep it because it was right by the coffee maker and it made a nice place to set one's cup, a third wanted to get rid of it and get a smaller table and a third did not realize it was a camera...

It's another mindset--that's for sure. I don't think you can truly understand equipment unless you use it as intended. The non-using collector is always going to be limited by the lack of experiential knowledge. After using my Century Studio camera for a few weeks, I understood why it was so popular in studios for generations.

There is no shortage of classic cars that don't get driven, antique firearms that never get shot, and WW1 airplanes that never fly. I've even heard of hand made briar pipes that never get smoked.
    What strange times in which we live.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    Dhe difference between a collector and a photographer.

Back in the 1990s I belonged to a camera collectors club. We met once a month to have coffee and talk about serial numbers and obsolete roll film formats: Does it have the red dot, is it pre-war or marked “Occupied Japan” and so on. I learned a lot about photography too.

One of the members had such an extensive and eclectic collection that he added a second story to his garage and built a display room. Three walls had built-in display cases for his best items with cabinet space below for duplicate seconds (and thirds). All good stuff and lots of it.

The middle of the room was dominated by two classic studio cameras on stands . . .both were huge and complete, with lenses to match. My recollection is that they were both larger than 11x14, but the specifics are lost to me. Now, in my mind’s eye they look like the paired guns of Navarone . . .in golden brass and oak.

I was working in a hospital at the time doing Nuclear Medicine Imaging. I had access to sheet film in large sizes along with the automatic developing equipment and chemistry to match. The chemistry was compatable with Tri-X and I was running a few sheets of my own 8x10 once in a while. I thought it would be a great idea to expose a few sheets of MRI or CAT Scan film in these old studio cameras from time-to-time and anticipated developing the collaboratrion .

The project was proposed to him during a break at a club meeting and at first he didn’t get what I meant to do. I went through it again with cheerful enthusiasm and his eyes got wide, “You mean, TAKE PICTURES?” He darted his eyes around nervously. I pointed out that I would take care of the film and developing, that it would only be every few weeks or so, and what fun . . . He broke out in a cold sweat, turned and walked away. He never would talk about it with me again:

A true collector.

A sweet What-Might-Have-Been . . .Oh Well.
    Nope. Not even close. That's an accumulator.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

That's such a sad story.

I mean, I get collecting collectible items - like stamps, coins, cards...you know, stuff that has no intrinsic use as a tool. But collecting things that were built to be used seems to me to be a disservice to the craftsmen that made it.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

I did not mean to be harsh on my fello club member. His collection, while eclectic, is selective. His display pieces each have some significance in photography and all are prestine; many have the original box with papers. Oh , and yes. . .he does make photographs from time to time too.

Cheers to all
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!