Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Graflex optar 4.7

Re: Graflex optar 4.7

If it were mine and the shutter works, I'd use it like it is and try to remember that the actual aperture is one stop wider than indicated on that scale. For practical photography, that's within the cumulative error of all the other variations. Only for rigorous applications of the zone system and some lab work will the error be significant.

There's another good reason to get that lens working with the right shutter with this particular camera.

I greatly enjoyed using the rangefinder on a Super Graphic I once owned, makes it a speedy camera and possible to use handheld. Any SG will have a replaceable lens cam installed for the rangefinder if it's still set up properly (and not stripped out, say for weight reduction). Most common lens for these was the 135mm Optar in a Graphex, ergo there's every chance that the cam installed is correct for this particular 135mm, as was mine.

Now, like I mentioned it's very useful to have a working rangefinder (wouldn't want another SG without one, personally). But the Caltar IIN (Rodenstock Sironar N) 135mm f/5.6 lens I bought specifically for the camera, unfortunately didn't work with that original cam. Not even close after adjusting infinity stops. A Raptar 135mm f/4.7 I had laying around worked with very precise focus. Never did get around to custom grinding a cam for the SG to take the Caltar; didn't use it much and wound up selling that camera with the Raptar.

Super Graphics could have been the bomb had somebody thought to go into business making cams for popular modern lenses. (Oh yeah, and if they'd also figured out a way for the RF and for coupled internal rack focusing to use the camera with wide angles, ala the Crown Graphic. Didn't like that other downside to the SG at all!)

Thanks for all the responses guys, The lens that i showed yall snagged up at speeds below 1/10. But i found one in good condition for a good price. I should be getting it this week.

Very common that a Graphex or
    Rapax shutter has a slow running or hanging escapement as most is 60+ year old gear. The shutter may simply need the old lubricants flushed out and replaced. There are still a few places where you can send a shutter out for a CLA or you might do a "Ronsonol soak" yourself.

got the new lens in about a week ago and tried it out with the camera. Thanks for all the input guys, i really appreciate it. Now i think i might have to invest in a scanner to be able to scan all my shots. Im hooked haha.