Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Betax Cleaning

Betax Cleaning

I have done a search but can't find exactly what I am looking for - so - can anyone advise me on doing a quick, not to terribly intrusive CLA on a Betax #4? I have been told that one can pretty safely clean shutters that may not be running correctly, with Ronson lighter fluid. If so, would I remove the front cover (4 screws) to get at the movements that need to have the fluid applied? Any tips? Shutter is working but 1/2 sec seems closer to 1 sec, and at times seems to hang open for longer.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

Re: Betax Cleaning

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    I have done a search but can't find exactly what I am looking for - so - can anyone advise me on doing a quick, not to terribly intrusive CLA on a Betax #4? I have been told that one can pretty safely clean shutters that may not be running correctly, with Ronson lighter fluid. If so, would I remove the front cover (4 screws) to get at the movements that need to have the fluid applied? Any tips? Shutter is working but 1/2 sec seems closer to 1 sec, and at times seems to hang open for longer.
    Yeah, this explains why there are so many shutters smelling of lighter fliud and not working.

Send it to someone like Flutot's unless you have the tools, lubricants, and experience to: disassemble, clean all parts, reassemble lubricating as you go. You'll need: A set of watchmaker's screwdrivers, some tweezers, an ultrasonic cleaner, at least two lubricants- light grease and watch or light clock oil; skill, experience, and a place to work.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

I found this site which has lots of info and opinions on shutter maintenance.

Since I don't have much money in this old shutter, so I may take the "best" advice I can glean and just experiment...that way E. von can say "Told ya so!" when I report back about my failures and regrets.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

Please report all.

I have Betax 5 with stuck blades, but it still looks OK.

I await news!

Since I don't have much money in this old shutter, so I may take the "best" advice I can glean and just experiment...that way E. von can say "Told ya so!" when I report back about my failures and regrets.
    Tin Can

Found this on your link. It made me laugh and reminded me of Suzuki motorcycle school in 1979. They had piled 3 different new completely disassembled engines in a heap. 4 strokes were new to Suzuki then. I was the only one to get a twin running. Idiots chose 4 cylinder engines.

"The second is the dissassembly of the entire shutter, clean it and then
    reassembling and adjusting the escarpment to accuracy. An ex Graflex
    salesman said during training, Graflex brought the sales people up to
    Rochester for 'boot camp' During one day they had everybody sit down
    infront of a Graphex shutter and a bunch of tools. "Dissassemble and
    reassemble in 1 hour There will be a test on the accuracy of the shutter
    after that." After 1 hour most men (they were all men then) didn't have
    half the parts back in, which is what the brass expected. After berating
    them, they gave the moral of the lesson. "NEVER DO THIS TO A CUSTOMERS
    SHUTTER! Send it to us."

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Please report all.

I have Betax 5 with stuck blades, but it still looks OK.

I await news!
    Tin Can

I restore antique watches, as kind of a sideline. I bet 60 to 70 percent (maybe more) of my work is undoing what others have done.

See my post below, I spent years rebuilding 'basket case' engines. 8 speed trannies were always fun.

Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    I restore antique watches, as kind of a sideline. I bet 60 to 70 percent (maybe more) of my work is undoing what others have done.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Yeah, this explains why there are so many shutters smelling of lighter fliud and not working.

Send it to someone like Flutot's unless you have the tools, lubricants, and experience to: disassemble, clean all parts, reassemble lubricating as you go. You'll need: A set of watchmaker's screwdrivers, some tweezers, an ultrasonic cleaner, at least two lubricants- light grease and watch or light clock oil; skill, experience, and a place to work.
    I will second this. The amount of equipment being destroyed by hacks is ridiculous . If you don't KNOW what your doing do not do it, pay someone who does.
    Often this botched repair job equipment is sold without full disclosure about what has been done.

I read a bunch of pros and cons on the lighter fluid thing but all I can say is it worked for me. I had an Ilex shutter where the flash sync wasn't firing when the shutter fired. I didn't even open it, just flushed it by squeezing the plastic bottle and then letting it soak for a while. Some grit came out from inside of the shutter and after I thoroughly dried it everything has been working perfectly since.

YMMV of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    See my post below, I spent years rebuilding 'basket case' engines. 8 speed trannies were always fun.
    If they were digital, I'd post the picture story of a ca. 1925 Fay & Bowen LN-43 boat engine which came to me in boxes, filling the back of a pickup truck. The LN-43 was a 60 hp four, 4 3/4" x 5 1/2", 1200 rpm and 950 pounds. The (early) Paragon drive was in the same case as the rset of the engine. The magneto was missing, and the only one I could find turned the wrong way. I noticed that the impulse coupling was designed to be assembled to work either way, so I retimed the internals of the Bosch magneto to turn the correct direction. The starter was missing, but I found the correct Northern Electric with the wrong mounting nose. I made parts on a lathe, welded them together, put them back in the lathe, drilled six holes in the mill and had a correct mounting nose. Then all the valves were unserviceable.... babbit bearings... where do you get a head gasket for one of these?

Yeah, I've resurrected a couple basket cases.