Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: C41 developing / negative marks

Re: C41 developing / negative marks

Consider not pre-soaking. I have not seen it mentioned in the Fuji or Kodak C-41 instructions though I see Rollei Digibase specify it. Apparently their chemistry is produced by Fuji.

Carefully preheating the development tank is good. Distilled water for the stabilizer is necessary. Consider Kodak chemistry.

I improved my C-41 process after reading http://www.shutterbug.com/content/da...rmat-c-41-film

Quote Originally Posted by spacegoose View Post
    Consider not pre-soaking. I have not seen it mentioned in the Fuji or Kodak C-41 instructions though I see Rollei Digibase specify it. Apparently their chemistry is produced by Fuji.

Carefully preheating the development tank is good. Distilled water for the stabilizer is necessary. Consider Kodak chemistry.

I improved my C-41 process after reading http://www.shutterbug.com/content/da...rmat-c-41-film

Pre-soaking is the only way I can get consistent, EVEN development with no chance of mottling marks due to "dribbles".

I haven't seen ANY "ill" effects whatsoever, such as: loss of contrast, color saturation or affect on grain patterns and/or reticulation.

Even "Photo Engineer"(Ron Mowrey) over on APUG has even recommended it for DIY C-41 people:

Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I use the prewet all of the time and have for over 20 years. I have seen no significant difference in the few tests I did run.

I have done it both ways though, over the years and find better uniformity and fewer defects using a prewet.

The colored materials that wash out in a prewet have been described elsewhere in a lengthy thread, but basically they do no harm by being washed out.

Two things to remember. I discard my developer after use. I have tried reusing the developer and found it unsatisfactory to me and that is why. I also use 2 prewets of 30" each as the first one drops in temp quite quickly.

Also, the 4' wash time is probably not enough. If the stabilizer or final rinse (which I reuse) gradually turns light pink, the blix is getting into it through a poor wash and will eventually harm the film.

PE

Widows and Orphans Beware

I would say a water stain. If you haven't had problems in the past using tap water, I doubt that's the culprit. I recommend switching to flexicolor. I know what photoguy says, but Kodak officially says not to prewash. I used to prewash with press kit chemicals, switched to flexicolor, warm tank but no prewash, much better results. I've never used the Rollei kit. I can't say the prewash or not has anything to do with it.