Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommended source for bellows and installation on a Century Studio portait camera

Re: Recommended source for bellows and installation on a Century Studio portait came

I have been looking for finials, but nothing fits yet. It works great, it is easier to move and more stable that a Arkay 9 foot post model stand I have.

I figure the finials were an improvement to control the glue split. Only I see the problems.

I need to control my urge to strip the paint off, it has already come off wherever there is a finger joint on the camera.

I do find sitters prefer the ancient cameras over, say, a 8x10 Horseman, even though I use the same lens...

I made a Horseman lensboard adapter for the Ansco lensboard, that fits most of my lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by lenser View Post
    Randy, I've seen finial caps of many kinds at most hardware stores and farm supply places. Whether or not they are the correct size, I don't know, but it might be worth checking out for you.

My stand is an earlier model that is basically a tiltable table top that can be cranked up and down.
    Tin Can

Re: Recommended source for bellows and installation on a Century Studio portait came

Randy,

I don't know if they have what you need, but this company offers several styles (materials) in varying sizes plus they solicit questions about sizing options.

www.bevoworks.com/post-caps-c-70.html‎
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

They have the usual 4" caps.

I need 3" caps, but not really.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by lenser View Post
    Randy,

I don't know if they have what you need, but this company offers several styles (materials) in varying sizes plus they solicit questions about sizing options.

www.bevoworks.com/post-caps-c-70.html‎
    Tin Can

There is a fellow on eBay who makes new bellows for just about any view camera.

Not sure if you found your bellows but I just made my own after checking in to other options, they were really cheap and easy to make to my surprise. I show how I did it starting towards bottom of page 1 of this thread
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...inions-welcome!

Oh and this thread had a lot of advice as well when trying to determine the cloth, I ended up using "Duck Cloth" on the outside and it worked very nice, I can't remember what I used as the blackout cloth inside but maybe duvatayne or maybe I went cheap and used very thin black felt regardless, I remember these being very easy to make , just a little monotonous cutting and gluing stiffeners but the end effect was very rewarding http://www.largeformatphotography.in...bellows-fabric

Edit- I went back and found I used drapery blackout cloth INSIDE which was white and then covered that with black speaker grill cloth but honestly I don't think the blackout cloth was needed because of the coats of spray adhesive, if I were to do it again I wold probably use just duck cloth, spray adhesive, stiffeners, spray adhesive then electrical tape the inside seems on dried 77 spray adhesive, no light is penetrating that combo

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I have a grey painted Ansco 8X10 studio camera with a grey painted Semi-Centennial stand. I have only seen pictures of other cameras of this type, but they all seem to be the same.
    Your grey painted model is actually the upscale model of the Ansco #5 studio camera. Believe it or not the grey paint cost more than the varnished model.

I own the varnished model. I am the second owner. The first owner purchased it new in 1946.

G

I read the upscale grey paint was a 20% premium.

I have now become used to it's worn appearance and will not 'improve' it. I found an 8x10 varnished wood back to replace the 5x7 grey one and I am most happy with my bellows since I carefully cleaned them, they actually gleam.

Quote Originally Posted by Gundlach View Post
    Your grey painted model is actually the upscale model of the Ansco #5 studio camera. Believe it or not the grey paint cost more than the varnished model.

I own the varnished model. I am the second owner. The first owner purchased it new in 1946.

G

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I read the upscale grey paint was a 20% premium.

I have now become used to it's worn appearance and will not 'improve' it. I found an 8x10 varnished wood back to replace the 5x7 grey one and I am most happy with my bellows since I carefully cleaned them, they actually gleam.
    If you go through the Ansco/Agfa catalogs on the cameraexcentrics (sp?) site, you'll notice that they charged a whole lot more than just 20% premium for gray paint. The company execs probably laughed all the way to the bank, because they not only got to charge extra for ugly surplus "deluxe" paint, but they had also found a way to use all the substandard only-good-for-kindling wood underneath without anyone noticing. How do I know? Well, I was stupid enough to strip one of the gray Ansco stands for giving it a nice natural finish. Had to quickly abandon that idea after seeing what lurked underneath all that thick paint :-( . The wood looked like it came straight from recycled shipping pallets.

Good to know!

My camera and stand paint is very thin and peeling.

I waxed it all to try and keep it the way it is.

The steel corner supports were all rusty and I put rust converter on them which stopped the rust and turned them black.

Funny, the bellows are great.

Quote Originally Posted by big_ben_blue View Post
    If you go through the Ansco/Agfa catalogs on the cameraexcentrics (sp?) site, you'll notice that they charged a whole lot more than just 20% premium for gray paint. The company execs probably laughed all the way to the bank, because they not only got to charge extra for ugly surplus "deluxe" paint, but they had also found a way to use all the substandard only-good-for-kindling wood underneath without anyone noticing. How do I know? Well, I was stupid enough to strip one of the gray Ansco stands for giving it a nice natural finish. Had to quickly abandon that idea after seeing what lurked underneath all that thick paint :-( . The wood looked like it came straight from recycled shipping pallets.