Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nickel (?) Hermagis Petzval....

Re: Nickel (?) Hermagis Petzval....

I don't think any lens would have been able to be nickel plated prior to 1869 when the process became more robust.

Dr I. Adams of the United States patented a nickel ammonium sulphate bath in 1869...Dr. Adams engaged in an aggressive marketing campaign for his solution in the United States and Europe, resulting in a near universal acceptance by industrial countries. See Nickel and Chromium Plating
    By John Keith Dennis, Tony Eugene

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    Dr I. Adams of the United States patented a nickel ammonium sulphate bath in 1869...Dr. Adams engaged in an aggressive marketing campaign for his solution in the United States and Europe, resulting in a near universal acceptance by industrial countries. http://www.thomasnet.com/articles/me...lating-history
    Yep - but that, along with the Siemens generators needed for large scale plating, came a few years too late to affect a French 1867 lens in its production. That lens was either plated later on in its life, or using some (considerably) more expensive method...

I was a bit sceptical about the date - there being no Waterhouse stops. But Corrado has lots of illustrations of this convertible type. He shows a 60's which has obviously been converted to WHS as well as 4 other versions born with stops but with reversed engravings in relation to the drive!
    Your engraving design matches perfectly the "ca. 1862" one at 9,804.

I'll try to make better images, but there's a waterhouse stop, for sure..

+1 ... this looks like a relative "modern" nickel finish look to me ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sevo View Post
    ... Or as a modernization effort in later years, maybe to add some more glamour... (snip) ...- 19th century cameras and parts had some resurgence as photographers shop and studio decorations in the seventies.

For those of you that don't have the book, here is the much large convertible Hermagis with the original reverse engraving and the modifcation to a Waterhouse slot system.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails corradoconvert.jpg  

Alex Timmermans

My small book says that Nickel versions were available from 1888 and aluminium versions on special request from 1914......
    "You dont take a picture, it's given to you"

www.alextimmermans.com
    www.collodion-art.blogspot.com
    email : collodion-art dot onsmail dot nl

Plating is around since the first quarter of the 19th century with nickel plating starting around 1837-9. The Dr Adams process from 1869 produced a "dull" satin finish. Bright nickel plating is a development after Watts in turn improved the nickel plating process in 1916. The bright nickel plating process is relatively "new" ... not exactly sure when the brighteners became available ...

Quote Originally Posted by gandolfi View Post
    I'll try to make better images, but there's a waterhouse stop, for sure..
    I noticed that brass does not show in the engraving, so either it's solid nickel (or a nickel alloy, it doesn't take much nickel to color an alloy silver) or it was plated after it was engraved.
    Is brass exposed anywhere, say on the flange threads?
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Quote Originally Posted by Amedeus View Post
    Plating is around since the first quarter of the 19th century with nickel plating starting around 1837-9. The Dr Adams process from 1869 produced a "dull" satin finish. Bright nickel plating is a development after Watts in turn improved the nickel plating process in 1916. The bright nickel plating process is relatively "new" ... not exactly sure when the brighteners became available ...
    None of the Adams process nickel Colt 1870s-1880s revolvers I've seen are dull! Nor the nickle plating on old potbelly stoves, steam guages, etc. The 1870s Nickle was very shiny, based on how much the underlying steel or base metal was polished. Here is one:

In "A STUDY OF THE COLT SINGLE ACTION REVOLVER" John Kopec details how, in June 1874, the State of Virginia requested the Ordnance Department to issue Virginia several hundred revolvers under the Militia Act. Virginia then sold the un-issued revolvers to a broker who re-sold them to Colt. Colt had the revolvers nickel-plated by the Adams Nickel Plating & Manufacturing Co., of South Windom, Connecticut, and fitted with ivory grips to distinguish them from government contract Single Action Cavalry revolvers. http://www.icollector.com/Outstandin...h-Iv_i14554333