Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sudgestion on good but not to expensiv 90mm

Sudgestion on good but not to expensiv 90mm

Halo
    I´m totaly new on LF and have a Newton New-Vue VC3 with Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 15cm f4.5 lens in a Zeiss Ikon Compur Shutter.
    Info on the camera
    http://monorecords.wordpress.com/large-format-photo/

I photo 4x5" but will do 6x7cm to with a rollfilmholder.
    I´m looking for a not to expensive 90 mm lens that is better ore in same quality as the tessar.
    Any advice?
    Do any one know more about this camera and lens that I have?
    I do think that the lens are befor warII but I dont know?

Greatings
    Fredrik

Re: Sudgestion on good but not to expensiv 90mm

Your lens is off a German Zeiss Ikon most likely a 9x12 camera probably made at the end of the 1920's and uncoated, it covers 5x4 with a small amount of movement, at f22 these are good sharp lenses. You can look up the serial numbers of the lens and shutter to get a more exact date. These Tessars 135mm/150mm (actually marked in cm) were redesined with newer glass and mounted in the new rimset Compur somewhere around 1929/30. The shutter wouldn't be marked Zeiss Ikon if the lens was sold separately.

Can't help with the camera.

You might look for a good 90mm f6.8 Angulon they can be found for around 100-140 euros, just cover 5x4 but no room for movents or an early 90mm Super Anulon.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IanG View Post
    Your lens is off a German Zeiss Ikon most likely a 9x12 camera probably made at the end of the 1920's and uncoated, it covers 5x4 with a small amount of movement, at f22 these are good sharp lenses. You can look up the serial numbers of the lens and shutter to get a more exact date. These Tessars 135mm/150mm (actually marked in cm) were redesined with newer glass and mounted in the new rimset Compur somewhere around 1929/30. The shutter wouldn't be marked Zeiss Ikon if the lens was sold separately.

Can't help with the camera.

You might look for a good 90mm f6.8 Angulon they can be found for around 100-140 euros, just cover 5x4 but no room for movents or an early 90mm Super Anulon.

Ian
    Thanks!
    I will look for those! More or less way I want a 90mm is to be closer to normal optic when I use the 6x7 backholder. It is the use of adusebalt fron and back that intresst me most with this art!

I will probably photo mast black and white in 4x5" but color is so expensiv so that will probably beter with 120 film.

One crasy question, is it totaly out of question to use a tessar 10,5cm lens from a 6x9 folder camera?

Quote Originally Posted by freddenacka View Post
    One crasy question, is it totaly out of question to use a tessar 10,5cm lens from a 6x9 folder camera?
    This lens will cover the 6x7 rollfilm, but not 4x5. A 90mm Angulon is a good lens, and will allow room for movements when using the 6x7 back.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Your camera has a spring back and the focusing screen does not detach so you will need to get a roll film holder that will slip under the springs of the spring back. Calumet I think amongst others made them. I do not know much about them myself but others with more experience of these things could possibly advise.

Cambo made the roll film holders for Calumet in various sizes, quite a simple construction but it works. Sinar made a number of similar roll film holders, which are much nicer but much more expensive. Sinar also made the vario zoom holder for different formats from 4.5x6 to 6x12. The problem with all of those is that they are fairly thick (24mm). Just make sure that your back can handle a cassette that thick before you spend a lot of money.

I haven't seen many cheap 6.8/90 Angulons lately. The 8/90 Super Angulon might be easier to find but usually isn't that cheap. An alternative is the 6.8/90 Grandagon (or Sinaron W).
    c&c always welcome!

"The world just does not fit conveniently into the format of a 35mm camera." (W. Eugene Smith)

http://peter-yeti.jimdo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Yeti View Post
    Cambo made the roll film holders for Calumet in various sizes, quite a simple construction but it works. Sinar made a number of similar roll film holders, which are much nicer but much more expensive. Sinar also made the vario zoom holder for different formats from 4.5x6 to 6x12. The problem with all of those is that they are fairly thick (24mm). Just make sure that your back can handle a cassette that thick before you spend a lot of money.

I haven't seen many cheap 6.8/90 Angulons lately. The 8/90 Super Angulon might be easier to find but usually isn't that cheap. An alternative is the 6.8/90 Grandagon (or Sinaron W).
    Thanks for all advice! I will look for a 90mm of the brands that you named and are not in hurry.
    Is it always nessesary to have a complet lens with shutter and own bord?

I have a calumet c2 on my way home It would be nice to have 6x9 but didn't find any that were not to expensive. Maybe I get one later.

I most say that my impressions when I started with medium format this winter was big! So much better than my normal 35 camera but now after this weekend with a reall lf it beats everything I ever tried :-D

If you take your time, you'll have a good chance to find a great lens for not too much. Just look around and get familiar with the prices for a while before you seriously go on the hunt. Wide angle lenses in barrel are not that common, at least the post-war designs. The exceptions are lenses in Sinar DB mounts, which are meant to be used with a Sinar Copal shutter. I'd stay away from those unless you have a Sinar and the corresponding shutter. Most times it is more expensive to buy lens cells and a shutter separately. And mounting a wide angle in a shutter is precision work and not recommended to do yourself. The lens board is another matter and usually no big deal to exchange, as long as you can get a board for your camera.
    c&c always welcome!

"The world just does not fit conveniently into the format of a 35mm camera." (W. Eugene Smith)

http://peter-yeti.jimdo.com

Everyone and their brothers will be looking for 90mm Angulons and Super Angulons for their to be delivered Wanderlust Travelwides (900 of them!). Don't expect to find one in the next 6 months without a bidding war. The 10.5 cm was the normal lens for 6x9. Stopped down a bit it's hard to beat a nice Tessar.